This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6071 / 50°36'25"N
Longitude: -4.7236 / 4°43'24"W
OS Eastings: 207383
OS Northings: 82139
OS Grid: SX073821
Mapcode National: GBR N2.C4HX
Mapcode Global: FRA 07ZG.KLC
Plus Code: 9C2QJ74G+RH
Entry Name: Trewalder Methodist Chapel and School Room
Listing Date: 13 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1146507
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68532
Location: Camelford, Cornwall, PL33
Civil Parish: Camelford
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Lanteglos by Camelford
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 08 SE
4/88 Trewalder Methodist Chapel and
- School Room
Methodist Chapel, school room and carriage house. 1803, enlarged in 1862 and partly
remodelled. Slate stone rubble. Slate roof with hipped end to front, 2-span hipped
roof rear of chapel on left and gable end to school room on right. Lower slate roof
with gable end to carriage house on right.
Plan: the remains of the earlier chapel building.are extant in the south east corner
of the present chapel. The chapel was probably of rectangular plan, extended to the
right (south) in circa mid to late C19. Contemporary with this extension a school
room heated by an end stack was added on the right (south) forming an overall 'L'
shaped plan. A carriage house and stable was added on the right of the school room,
now used as a store and lavatory.
Single storey with ground sloping down to right. The chapel has a 2-span roof where
extended to the right (south). Plank double doors to entrance. The school room on
right has plank double doors flanked by an early C19 hornless 24 pane sash and a
later C19 horned 24 pane sash. The left hand side wall of the chapel has 2 C19 16-
pane sashes. Lower range on right comprising carriage house has yellow brick
dressings; wide segmental arch with plank double doors to left and plank door to
right. Round headed window in gable end with radiating glazing bars.
Interior : The chapel has simple pitch pine furnishings renewed in the later C19,
late C19 rostrum and late C20 altar rails. Central valley supported on cast iron
columns. School Room has C19 fireplace on right hand gable end with mid C19 register
John Wesley preached at Trewalder in 1750, 1751, 1753, 1760 and subsequently
biannually. The desk at which he is reputed to have preached is kept in the school
room at Trewalder. The society was established in 1753.
Shaw, Thomas Methodism in the Camelford and Wadebridge Circuit 1743-1963 1963
Stell, C. RCHM unpublished inventory of non-conformist chapels
Listing NGR: SX0738382139
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings