This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8518 / 52°51'6"N
Longitude: -0.2167 / 0°13'0"W
OS Eastings: 520184
OS Northings: 329742
OS Grid: TF201297
Mapcode National: GBR HWG.615
Mapcode Global: WHHM6.NL13
Plus Code: 9C4XVQ2M+P8
Entry Name: Church of St Gilbert and St Hugh
Listing Date: 13 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1146623
English Heritage Legacy ID: 198173
Location: Gosberton, South Holland, Lincolnshire, PE11
Civil Parish: Gosberton
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Gosberton Clough St Gilbert and St Hugh
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
GOSBERTON RISEGATE ROAD
TF 22 NW
7/59 Church of
Chapel of Ease. 1902-4 by Bucknall and Comper. Brick plinth.
Timber frame, nave with render panels, rendered brick chancel,
with ashlar dressings, Collyweston slate roof. Nave with eastern
bellcote, chancel, south porch, vestry. Walls have diagonal
braces and rails. At the west end a 5 light timber Perpendicular
window with arched heads to the lights. Above a slightly
shallower similar window. In the gable a rectangular louvred
panel. The nave walls have deeply coved eaves. North wall of 4
bays marked by vertical posts, with 4 five light windows
matching those in the west end. At the east end of the nave an
open gabled bellcote with lead roof and timber supports. Chancel
north wall is in rendered brickwork with a 3 light ashlar window
with cusped heads to the lights. Angled stepped corner
buttresses. At the east end a similar 3 light window but with
triangular head. Above an ogee headed lancet to the gable and a
cross fleury. Beneath an inscribed stone recording the
foundation of the church in 1902. The chancel south wall matches
that to the north. The vestry has a 5 light timber window in the
east and a plank and muntin door with 4 centred arched head on
the west. On the south side 2 further 5 light timber windows.
Gabled south porch, with 4 centred open outer doorway and glazed
side panels, with 4 lights to the porch sides. Side benches.
Plank and muntin double doors to interior. Interior. Nave has
vertical wall posts with chamfered tie beams and swept braces.
Studding to east wall above chancel opening. Coved chancel
ceiling with brattishing to cornice. Stained glass in east
window by Comper. Fittings. Corner pillar piscina with ogee
headed and brattished top. Chancel rail in C17 style with splat
balusters. Octagonal font with traceried side panels and shaft
with ogee headed panels.
Listing NGR: TF2018429742
Other nearby listed buildings