This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7383 / 51°44'18"N
Longitude: 0.1213 / 0°7'16"E
OS Eastings: 546571
OS Northings: 206533
OS Grid: TL465065
Mapcode National: GBR LDX.TSB
Mapcode Global: VHHMF.2K0R
Plus Code: 9F32P4QC+8G
Entry Name: Latton Priory Farmhouse
Listing Date: 26 April 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1146791
English Heritage Legacy ID: 118223
Location: North Weald Bassett, Epping Forest, Essex, CM17
District: Epping Forest
Civil Parish: North Weald Bassett
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Harlow St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 466 065 NORTH WEALD BASSETT LONDON ROAD
4/27 Latton Priory
House, early C18, extended in red brickwork with some blue flared headers.
English bond, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Aligned approximately E-W,
aspect S. Extension to W of one storey with attics, red brickwork, Flemish
bond, and single storey bakehouse/brewhouse beyond, with end chimney stack. N
extension from eastern part of main house, roughcast rendered, in the form of 2
parallel ranges with hipped roofs and valley between, C19. 2 storeys with
attics. S elevation, 6 panel door of which the upper 4 are glazed, under C20
shallow hood, brickwork repaired above. 3 window range of C18 casement windows
of 6 lights, and one of 4 lights above door, with segmental brick arches over.
In E extension, one late C19 double-hung sash window of 20 lights. String
course. Dentils under eaves. Gambrel roof with 2 flat-roofed dormers in steeper
pitch. Some inscribed bricks near base of wall, including MD 1773, probably
representing an occupier at that date. Plain chamfered transverse beams with
simple concave stops. C18 stair from ground to attic store with Chinese-
inspired simple geometrical pattern below rail. The C18 casement windows are of
exceptional interest, a rare survival. In each case the frame is of hardwood,
with one hardwood casement, fixed lights and casements, complete with original
saddle bars and rectangular panes supported in Cl3 lead cames. Windows of this
type, common in their period, have usually been replaced elsewhere by sashes or
other windows of later types.
Listing NGR: TL4657106533
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings