This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1842 / 53°11'3"N
Longitude: -0.1467 / 0°8'48"W
OS Eastings: 523941
OS Northings: 366836
OS Grid: TF239668
Mapcode National: GBR HRG.CQZ
Mapcode Global: WHHKP.Q7B8
Entry Name: Church of St. Michael
Listing Date: 14 September 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1146950
English Heritage Legacy ID: 195222
Location: Roughton, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN9
District: East Lindsey
Civil Parish: Roughton
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Horncastle Group
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
TF 26 NW
7/37 Church of
Parish church. C12, C13, C15, C17 with C18 and C19 restorations.
Squared greenstone rubble with some brick patching and ashlar
dressings, slate roofs with stone coped gables. Nave and
chancel. West gable overbuilt and raised in C19 has an earlier
brick gable, probably of C18 visible beneath. Below the walls
are of patched stone with a 3 light C15 window with cusped heads
to the lights and concave moulded triangular headed surround.
Above is a bell opening with segmental brick head. The north
nave wall has extensive brick patching possibly due to the
removal of an aisle. One 2 light C17 window, now containing C19
Y tracery with a ribbed rectangular surround, hood mould, and
plain libel stops. Further east is a C19 pointed light with
chamfered surround. The 2 light chancel east window is C13 but
with C19 top. In the chancel south wall a C19 ogee headed light
and a C13 single chamfered pointed window. There is some
evidence that the chancel may have been extended. In the nave
south wall are 2 pairs of C19 lancets with single chamfered
surrounds. The south doorway is late C12 with nook shafts of 2
orders of moulding round the head but with extensive C19
restoration. The capitals of the shafts bear small human masks.
The inner order consists of lozenges with palmettes and the outer
order has chevron moulding. The hood mould is plain. Interior.
The chancel arch, probably narrowed, has late C12 shafted jambs
with cushion and debased Ionic capitals and is surmounted by a
C13 arch with chamfered inner order, a keeled roll, and a step to
the stop chamfered hood mould. The moulded imposts of the arch
run back to either side as string courses. In the north wall of
the nave is a transitional arched recess for a tomb. In the
chancel is a trefoil headed C13 piscina and beside the altar a
late C12 waterleaf statue bracket. All fittings are C19
including the pulpit and font, both in a C13 style. In the
chancel is a marble wall plaque to John Oldham d.1818, topped by
an urn, with poignant inscription.
Listing NGR: TF2394166836
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings