History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Margaret

A Grade I Listed Building in Quadring, Lincolnshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.8904 / 52°53'25"N

Longitude: -0.1818 / 0°10'54"W

OS Eastings: 522424

OS Northings: 334102

OS Grid: TF224341

Mapcode National: GBR HVX.WBC

Mapcode Global: WHHM1.5LPZ

Plus Code: 9C4XVRR9+57

Entry Name: Church of St Margaret

Listing Date: 7 February 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1147013

English Heritage Legacy ID: 198221

Location: Quadring, South Holland, Lincolnshire, PE11

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Holland

Civil Parish: Quadring

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Quadring

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


TF 23 SW
(north side)
4/107 Church of
St. Margaret
Parish church. C14, C15, restored 1862 by Charles Kirk of
Sleaford when the chancel was largely rebuilt. Limestone ashlar,
coursed and squared limestone rubble, lead and plain tiled roofs.
Western tower with spire, clerestoried nave, aisles, chancel,
south porch. 3 stage C15 tower with stepped corner buttresses
having cusped knopped gablettes. Chamfered plinth, 3 string
courses, battlemented parapet with fleuron frieze and gargoyles.
Set back octagonal spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes in the
principal directions. To the belfry stage 2 light ogee headed
louvred openings with brattished transomes. On the 3 sides a
single cusped light to the second stage. The western doorway has
a 4 centred arched head with deep hollow moulding and fleuron
frieze. Above a tall 3 light window with cusped heads, panel
tracery and brattished transomes. On the north side an angled
stair tower. The north aisle has a 3 light C15 window with
cusped ogee heads to the lights and panel tracery in the west and
east ends, with 3 matching windows on the north side, and a
continuously moulded and pointed doorway. Plain moulded parapet
to aisle. The clerestory has an embattled and cusped panelled
parapet, with 8 triple lights with panel tracery. The chancel
east wall rebuilt and shortened C19 with a 4 light Perpendicular
window. In the south side a continuously moulded blocked C14
doorway with one label stop and a 4 light segmental headed window
with cusped ogee head and brattished transom. In the east wall
of the south aisle a wide 3 light late C14 window with 4 centred
arched head, ogee heads to the lights, flowing tracery and
brattished transom. In the south wall are 3 three light C14
windows with reticulated tracery and a matching window in the
west end. The clerestory matches the north. Gabled C19 south
porch with tall moulded pointed arch and single chamfered,
moulded hood, triple filleted responds. Fine deeply hollow
moulded and filleted inner door with richly moulded hood.
Interior. C15 four bay nave arcades with continuously wave
moulded outer order, and similar inner order on brattished
capitals and half round shafts. Hood moulds with figured label
stops. C15 tall tower arch with 2 continuously moulded outer
orders and deep inner order on annular responds and half round
shafts. Vaulted tower chamber with circular bell hole. Double
order of continuously moulded chancel arch. Contemporary nave
roof of 4 main bays, with cambered ties having pierced spandrels,
queen posts and fleurons. It is supported on wall posts, on
carved stone corbels alternating with wall shafts to the main
bays. One tie beam is painted with the date of 1698 and the
churchwardens' names, indicating the restoration date. The
shafts are linked by continuous roll moulding to clerestory cill.
Facetted stone panelled turret to rood loft stair with brattished
top, 4 centred arch doorway with ogee finial and cusped panels
over and to side. Above is the archway to the vanished rood
loft. A small piscina in the north aisle. In the south aisle a
large cusped piscina. C19 roof to aisles and chancel. In the
west wall of the nave the scar of the former nave can be seen.
Fittings. All C19 apart from the elegant C15 octagonal font with
angels and inscribed panelled base and stem. Late C18 hud.
Ironbound churchwardens' chest. Monuments. In the chancel
north wall a marble wall plaque to Edward Brown, d.1739. Fluted
Corinthian pilasters, and escutcheon. Made by Palmer. Beneath
this a ledger slab depicting a priest, Richard Peresone d.1472.
In the nave a tablet by Blackwell to Thomas Duckett d.l822.

Listing NGR: TF2242434102

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.