This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7952 / 51°47'42"N
Longitude: 0.1581 / 0°9'29"E
OS Eastings: 548921
OS Northings: 212927
OS Grid: TL489129
Mapcode National: GBR LDC.JS7
Mapcode Global: VHHM7.P4FN
Plus Code: 9F32Q5W5+36
Entry Name: Alymers
Listing Date: 22 February 1952
Last Amended: 26 April 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147128
English Heritage Legacy ID: 118265
Location: Sheering, Epping Forest, Essex, CM17
District: Epping Forest
Civil Parish: Sheering
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Sheering St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 41 SE SHEERING SHEERING LOWER ROAD
(formerly listed as
2/16 Aylmers farmhouse)
Lobby entrance manor house, early C17, restored and extended in C20. Timber
framed, plastered with exposed studding, roofed with handmade red clay tiles.
3 bays aligned approx. N-S, with chimney stack in middle bay, forming a lobby
entrance to E, with original 3 storey porch. Stair tower to W of middle bay,
and 2 bay service wing in NW angle. Extension to N of W end of service wing,
forming a Z plan, converted to separate dwelling c.1980. Single-storey flat-
roofed extension to W of S bay of house, C20. Small lean-to porch against N
side of existing porch, C20. Main house and porch of 2 storeys with attics,
service wing and N extension of one storey with attics. To each side of porch
an oriel of 2 storeys with attics, C20, with large gabled dormers, forming a
symmetrical composition. All windows C20 casements, in early C17 style.
Original ground floor oriel on N elevation, with moulded brick base, 4 ovolo
moulded mullions, intermediate diamond stiffening bars of iron, transom carved
inside and outside with guilloche design, more guilloche carving on outside
of corner posts, of which the W is original, the E accurately restored. Some
early coal-fired glass with C20 leading. C20 wooden. casement in place of
original wrought iron casement, otherwise historically authentic, a rare
survival. Some framing exposed internally, heavy studding closely spaced.
Straight braces across upper corners of walls, inside studs but not trenched.
Axial beams, plain chamfered with lamb's tongue stops. Joists exposed in ground
floor S room, but unchamfered and intended to be lathed and plastered to the
soffits, as the other ceilings are. Storey posts with small jowls at first
floor as well as large jowls at top. Hearth of ground floor N room has 2
recessed panels above mantel beam, plastered, one having the date 1615,
which appears authentic and consistent with other evidence, but which
was not reported by RCHM c.1920. Hearth of first floor N room has brick arch
of depressed curvature with stop-chamfered lintels. Stair tower has original
newel post and some original treads. Roof of butt-purlin construction, with
original apertures for the 3 dormers to E. Service wing has no central
tiebeam, trussed originally with straight braces to collar. The E oriels are
wholly or largely C20 work, but may be based on original features. The house
was reported by the RCHM to be in poor condition c.1920, and has been
extensively restored since then. RCHM 6.
Listing NGR: TL4892112927
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings