This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8861 / 51°53'9"N
Longitude: 1.1611 / 1°9'40"E
OS Eastings: 617640
OS Northings: 225560
OS Grid: TM176255
Mapcode National: GBR VR5.LDS
Mapcode Global: VHLCL.2VPH
Entry Name: The Oak
Listing Date: 30 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147137
English Heritage Legacy ID: 120261
Location: Beaumont-cum-Moze, Tendring, Essex, CO16
Civil Parish: Beaumont-cum-Moze
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Beaumont-cum-Moze
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
BEAUMONT-CUM-MOZE WIX ROAD
TM 12 NE (south-west side)
3/17 The Oak
House. Early C16, altered in C18 and early C19. Timber framed, plastered and
weatherboarded, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 5-bay continuous jetty
house facing E, with 2 rear stacks and an external stack at the right end.
Early C19 single-storey lean-to extension to left, roofed with slate. C18
extension to rear with gambrel roof, and complex series of extensions on each
side of and beyond it, mostly early C19. 2 storeys. Ground floor, one early
C19 sash of 16 lights, 2 C20 casements, and door altered to C20 fixed light.
First floor, 5 early C19 2-light windows each with one wrought iron casement,
the saddle bars removed. Early C19 flush 6-panel door, the top 2 panels glazed.
Exposed full-length jetty with 5 plain brackets in situ. Roof hipped. Jowled
posts. 'Suffolk' bracing trenched inside heavy studding, mostly plastered over.
Edge-halved and bridled scarfs in wallplates, the rear wallplate made up of
several short lengths of timber. On the ground floor the studding of the left
end and the next partition have been removed; the soffits of all the beams have
been hacked back, and some are boxed in. Crownpost roof with plain crownposts
and axial bracing. Early C19 features include a stair with stick balusters, a
reeded fire surround to left of the axial stack, and a pine fireplace carved
with the arms of Lord Nelson, now in the left ground-floor room, but removed
from the right ground-floor room, an exceptional survival. A report by Harry
Forrester, 1969, in the possession of the owner states that the joists are 180mm
wide (not now visible), and that the original screens passage is the short bay
near the right end. Further examination may confirm this, but it may be a bay
for an original timber-framed chimney; there are some indications that the
service bay was at the left end. Formerly called Connies Oak or Flynters. Deeds
from 1642 to 1677 in Essex Record Office, D/DGh T.4. The farm was acquired by
Guy's Hospital in 1725, sold to Essex County Council in 1920, and the farmhouse
was sold separately in 1949.
Listing NGR: TM1764025560
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings