This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9101 / 50°54'36"N
Longitude: -3.3499 / 3°20'59"W
OS Eastings: 305190
OS Northings: 113164
OS Grid: ST051131
Mapcode National: GBR LP.QZ13
Mapcode Global: FRA 36WP.LS0
Entry Name: Leonard Moor Cottages
Listing Date: 17 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147447
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95862
Location: Burlescombe, Mid Devon, Devon, EX15
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Burlescombe
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Burlescombe St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST 01 SE
9/10 Nos 1 and 2 Leonard Moor Cottages
Pair of cottages, part once used as a toll house. Circa 1810, possibly enlarged
circa 1840. Local stone rubble with larger dressed quoins, part is pebbledash with
exposed rusticated quoins, some other stone ashlar detail; stone rubble stacks
topped with C19 brick, one of them plastered; slate roof.
Plan: pair of roadside cottages facing north-west onto the road. The main block
has a 5-room plan overall, the outer pairs of rooms heated by axial stacks between
serving back-to-back fireplaces. Central front 2-storey porch. No.1 is the right-
hand cottage and has a 3-room plan and includes the porch. No. 2 to the left, has a
2-room plan. The evidence is not clear but it may be that the outer end rooms are
secondary and that there was originally a 3-room plan cottage here. Both cottages
are 2 storeys.
Exterior: the main front is blind and dominated by the gabled porch. This has an
ashlar round-headed outer arch with projecting keystone, and it now contains a C20
plank door with strap hinges. Directly above is a Hamstone plaque inscribed "COMMON
INCLOSED 1810", and above this a painted (probably stone) gothic-style 3-light
window with a trefoil-beaded lights, sunken spandrels and hoodmould. The front here
is a crazy paving effect of water-rolled stones and includes a more or less
symmetrical pattern of geological specimens. Either side is pebbledashed with
exposed quoins and containing a ground floor lancet. The pebbledash continues each
side across the first bay of the main block ending at a vertical band of rusticated
quoins. Each of these bays contains a blind oculus defined by rusticated quoins and
blocked with a round boulder. The rear wall contains the windows and doorways. It
is a nearly symmetrical 5-window front overall of C19 and C20 replacement casements
containing rectangular panes of glass. Both doors are C20, that in No. 1 in the
Interior: not inspected.
This is an interesting and idiosyncratic building. It was probably erected 1810-11
by Richard Hall Clarke of Bridwell following the enclosure of Leonard Moor.
Source: Devon SMR.
Listing NGR: ST0519013164
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings