This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.4356 / 50°26'8"N
Longitude: -3.7977 / 3°47'51"W
OS Eastings: 272426
OS Northings: 61067
OS Grid: SX724610
Mapcode National: GBR QF.V23C
Mapcode Global: FRA 27YW.SCK
Entry Name: Marley House
Listing Date: 9 February 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147483
English Heritage Legacy ID: 99318
Location: Rattery, South Hams, Devon, TQ10
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Rattery
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Rattery The Blessed Virgin Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 17/04/2018
SX 76 SW
(Formerly listed as Syon Abbey, RATTERY)
Large country house, later occupied by a community of Bridgettine nuns and converted into apartments in 1994. C18 with remodelling of early C19, alterations of 1873 and extensions of 1935. Stuccoed and roughcast stone. Slate hipped roof behind blocking lower and cornice. Rusticated corner pilasters. Band at first floor level. Square on plan.
Two storeys and basement. West entrance front. Two storeys. Nine bays. Sash windows, with glazing bars in moulded architraves with moulded cills. Central doorway in moulded architrave with broken segmental pediment on console brackets and fielded panel doors. Large Doric portico with pediment and flour fluted giant columns.
South garden front: 2:5:2 bays, centre breaks forward slightly. East front 3:11:3 bays, centre recessed. South and east garden fronts have arcaded terrace to basement, with balustrade, dated 1873. Wings of 1935 attached to south west and north west corners.
Interior: Hall has Ionic colonnade screens and moulded modillion cornice. Cantilevered staircase with stack balusters and wreathed handrail. Dining room has elaborate plaster cornice, ceiling rose and doorframes with urns on the overdoors. Similar doorframes in panelled drawing room.
The Bridgettine nuns who occupied the house, were the only English Monastic community to maintain an unbroken succession of nuns from before the Reformation. Syon was founded in 1415 at Isleworth (Middlesea), but since the Dissolution they were domiciled in many places on the Continent before returning to Spettisbury, Dorset in 1861. Reference: W E Hoskins, A New Survey of England, Devon, page 468; 'Some interesting treasures are preserved here including carved stone capital from the original Syon Abbey' Ref: former Provisional List, 1970, page 20.
Listing NGR: SX7242661067
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings