History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Syon Abbey

A Grade II* Listed Building in Rattery, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.4356 / 50°26'8"N

Longitude: -3.7977 / 3°47'51"W

OS Eastings: 272426

OS Northings: 61067

OS Grid: SX724610

Mapcode National: GBR QF.V23C

Mapcode Global: FRA 27YW.SCK

Entry Name: Syon Abbey

Listing Date: 9 February 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1147483

English Heritage Legacy ID: 99318

Location: Rattery, South Hams, Devon, TQ10

County: Devon

District: South Hams

Civil Parish: Rattery

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Rattery The Blessed Virgin Mary

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Dean Prior

Listing Text

RATTERY -
SX 76 SW

6/46 Syon Abbey

9-2-61
- II*

Large country house formerly known as Marley House, now occupied by a community
of Bridgettine nuns. C18 with remodelling of early C19, alterations of 1873
and extensions of 1935. Stuccoed and roughcast stone. Slate hipped roof behind
blocking lower and cornice. Rusticated corner pilasters. Band at first floor
level. Square on plan. Two storeys and basement. West entrance front. Two
storeys. Nine bays. Sash windows, with glazing bars in moulded architraves
with moulded cills. Central doorway in moulded architrave with broken segmental
pediment on console brackets and fielded panel doors. Large Doric portico
with pediment and flour fluted giant columns. South garden front: 2:5:2 bays,
centre breaks forward slightly. East front 3:11:3 bays, centre recessed. South
and east garden fronts have arcaded terrace to basement, with balustrade, dated
1873. Wings of 1935 attached to south west and north west corners. Interior:
Hall has Ionic colonnade screens and moulded modillion cornice. Cantilevered
staircase with stack balusters and wreathed handrail. Dining room has elaborate
plaster cornice, ceiling rose and doorframes with urns on the overdoors. Similar
doorframes in panelled drawing room. The Bridgettine nuns who now occupy the
house, are the only English Monastic community to maintain an unbroken succession
of nuns from before the Reformation. Syon was founded in 1415 at Isleworth
(Middlesea), but since the Dissolution they were domiciled in many places on
the Continent before returning to Spettisbury, Dorset in 1861. Reference:
W E Hoskins, A New Survey of England, Devon, page 468; 'Some interesting treasures
are preserved here including carved stone capital from the original Syon Abbey'
Ref: former Provisional List, 1970, page 20.


Listing NGR: SX7242661067

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.