This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7031 / 52°42'11"N
Longitude: -0.0477 / 0°2'51"W
OS Eastings: 532012
OS Northings: 313507
OS Grid: TF320135
Mapcode National: GBR JZR.DSV
Mapcode Global: WHHN2.7BK1
Plus Code: 9C4XPX32+7W
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 7 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147611
English Heritage Legacy ID: 198095
Location: Whaplode, South Holland, Lincolnshire, PE12
Civil Parish: Whaplode
Built-Up Area: Whaplode Drove
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Whaplode Drove St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
WHAPLODE CHAPEL GATE
TF 31 SW (west side)
13/133 Church of St.John
Church. 1821, altered 1907-8.Designed by Jeptha Pacey and Swansborough. Red
brick, some ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with stone coped
gables with cross finial to east, and dentillated eaves. West
porch, nave with west bellcote, chancel with north vestry.
Plinth and regularly placed giant order pilasters with moulded
capitals and bases, run round entire church. Pedimented west
porch with ashlar dressed keyed oculus to west. South doorway
with ashlar dressed semi-circular headed doorcase with moulded
head with keystone and impost blocks, fanlight with radiating
spokes and panelled door. Modillioned brick nave pediment above
with oculus with radiating spokes. Copper covered tall
rectangular bellcote with rectangular openings on all 4 sides,
with scalloped band and moulded cornice, lead cupola above with
finial and weather vane. North side with 3 semi-circular headed
windows. Vestry of 1907 projects to east with small north coal
hole opening. Window to east with stone lintel. Chancel of 1907
with large ashlar keyed oculus to east. Dentillated brick
pediment above. South side of chancel with single semi-circular
headed window. Corbel table and parapet above. South side of
nave with 3 semi-circular headed windows. Roman altar of
limestone propped up in porch. Inner west doorway with fanlight
with radiating spokes and panelled door. C20 west gallery.
Semi-circular chancel arch with moulded keystone and impost
blocks. Late C19 pews. Ornate C19 screen and communion rail.
Monument in grey and white marble to John Kelk, died 1795.
Black and white marble monument with urn, to John Dinham, died
1811. White marble monument with urn and draperies, to William
Moore, died 1838.
Listing NGR: TF3201213507
Other nearby listed buildings