This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.4403 / 50°26'24"N
Longitude: -3.7747 / 3°46'29"W
OS Eastings: 274070
OS Northings: 61552
OS Grid: SX740615
Mapcode National: GBR QH.0N0R
Mapcode Global: FRA 27ZW.P6T
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 9 February 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147626
English Heritage Legacy ID: 99328
Location: Rattery, South Hams, Devon, TQ10
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Rattery
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Rattery The Blessed Virgin Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 76 Sw
6/53 Church of St Mary
Parish church. C13 enlarged in C15 by addition of aisles and enlargement of
transepts. Restored probably circa 1860s. Roughcast stone with slate roofs.
Nave and chancel in one with five-light perpendicular east window. Aisles have
Y-tracery windows except for east windows on north and south sides which are
perpendicular three-lights. North and south transepts have Y-tracery. South
doorway has moulded two centred arch and nail-studded plank door. South porch
with similar arch and slate sundial on gable dated 1808. West tower with batter,
diagonal buttresses at base, carbelled embattled parapet and short recessed
stone spire with small lucarnes. Lancet bell-openings, two with trefoil heads.
Three-light perpendicular west window and two-centred chamfered arch west doorway.Stair turret on south east corner of tower. Interior: Three bay north and
south arcades plus one smaller bay in chancel, with double chamfered two centred
arches octagonal piers with octagonal capitals. Unmoulded two centred tower
arch. Nave, aisles and transepts have C15 waggon roofs with moulded ribs and
carved bosses. Chancel has late C19 waggon roof. Internally the walls are
entirely plastered and have circa 1860s incised and painted decoration. C15
roof screen across nave and aisles, rebuilt in late C19 resusing some of the
original carved work. The parclose screens are largely intact. Circa late C17
panelled octagonal pulpit on later base. C12 font of red sandstone with fluted
round bowl with frieze of incesed semi-circles and cushion base. Tiling signed
by Henry and Webb. The other furnishings and seating are Victorian. STained
glass of 1840 is unusual. Monuments: Slate tablet to Elizabeth Cary 1671 in
chancel. C17 and C18 slate and marble tomb slabs in the aisles.
Listing NGR: SX7407061550
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings