This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8783 / 51°52'41"N
Longitude: 0.5151 / 0°30'54"E
OS Eastings: 573217
OS Northings: 222962
OS Grid: TL732229
Mapcode National: GBR PHV.C13
Mapcode Global: VHJJH.W15X
Entry Name: Rayne Hall
Listing Date: 2 May 1953
Last Amended: 2 January 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147693
English Heritage Legacy ID: 115051
Location: Rayne, Braintree, Essex, CM77
Civil Parish: Rayne
Built-Up Area: Rayne
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Rayne All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
RAYNE SHALFORD ROAD
2/5/53 RAYNE ALL GREEN
House. Early/Mid C14 origin extensively altered for Sir William Capell late C15
with later alterations and additions. Timber framed and rough rendered with
some brickwork. Red plain tiled roofs. Red brick chimney stack with square
plinth and 3 octagonal shafts to right of central range. Left single chimney
stack and rear large square attached shaft stack. Coved eaves cornice. Central
range with gabled forward wing to left and gabled crosswing to right. This
crosswlng with long wall jetty with moulded bressumer to right return. 2
storeys and attics. 2:4:2 window range of mainly cross transom casements.
Ground floor windows to left, garage door to right. Central gabled porch with 6
panelled door. Rear building joined to the hall by a passage. Of complex plan.
The central C14 range with a long wall jetty now underbuilt. Roof arch braced
to principal collars, with secondary collars above and jowled principal rafters.
Rear stair tower may relate to this build. The extension to the north end with
crown post roof and collar purlins and the east chimney appear to date from some
time soon after 1486. C16 south wing probably built for Sir Gyles Capell.
Solid tread staircase. The west extension to the north end early C17,
presumably built during Henry Capell's residence 1614-1622. The rear
outbuilding may have been a medieval kitchen but was so altered C17 onwards,
that its age is uncertain. The hall in the centre range has heavy moulded
ceiling beams and above the fireplace are 5 brick arches with 4 centred heads.
The walls are lined with C16 linenfold panelling, other rooms lined with C17
panelling. C16 doorways with 4 centred heads, anchor badge of the Capells in
spandrels. Original mullion windows, original doors. RCHM 4.
Listing NGR: TL7321722962
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings