This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9663 / 50°57'58"N
Longitude: -4.0578 / 4°3'27"W
OS Eastings: 255601
OS Northings: 120561
OS Grid: SS556205
Mapcode National: GBR KQ.MKVH
Mapcode Global: FRA 26DK.6ZH
Plus Code: 9C2QXW8R+GV
Entry Name: Way Barton
Listing Date: 4 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147757
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91816
Location: St. Giles in the Wood, Torridge, Devon, EX38
Civil Parish: St. Giles in the Wood
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: St Giles in the Wood St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 52 SE IN THE WOOD
4/198 Way Barton
Farmhouse. Early C18, modernised in the mid - late C19, built on the site of an
ancient barton. Plastered stone rubble and cob, maybe with some brick; stone rubble
stacks topped with C19 and C20 brick; slate roof, formerly thatched.
Plan: 4-room plan farmhouse facing north-east. At the left (south-east) end is a
parlour with a gable-end stack. Next to it is an entrance hall with an axial stack
backing onto the dining room which has a rear lateral stack. At the right (north-
west) end is the kitchen, set back very slightly from the main front, and with a
gable-end stack. There is an axial passage to rear of the entrance hall and parlour
and, to rear of this part, a rear block mostly taken up by the main stair but also
including former buttery and dairy. Service stair rises from rear of the kitchen.
The house is early C18 with subsequent modernisations. There is no evidence of any
earlier structure here. 2 storeys with disused attics in the roofspace.
Exterior: Regular but not symmetrical 3:1-window front of C19 12-pane sashes, those
in the centre right (dining room) bay included in tripartite sashes. The front
doorway is left of centre and it contains a C20 part-glazed panelled door and
overlight. Roof is gable-ended.
A medieval carved stone is set in the front wall approximately 1.5m above ground
level and approximately 1m from the left end. It is carved with 3 human heads in
pyramid fashion, a male head at the apex and below are 2 ladies' heads wearing
wimples. The stone appears to be late C13 - early C14 in date. It is presumed to be
reset but its provenance is unknown.
Interior: There is little exposed carpentry detail although axial joists of heavy
scantling are exposed in the parlour and some plaster has been stripped off the
partitions this end of the house revealing brick-nogged timber-framed walls. Also
the dining room fireplace is exposed. It is large, built of stone rubble with a
brick segmental arch over and a brick relieving arch above it. These features are
all early C18 and there is a great deal of contemporary joinery and some other detail
around the house. The entrance hall has a moulded plaster cornice. Open well stair
has closed string, square newel posts and fat stick balusters. Good cupboard on the
stair has fielded panel doors, the upper panels making a nowy head. The first floor
includes some fielded 2-panel doors and some similar cupboard doors. Roof was not
available for inspection at time of this survey but is said to be tie-beam trusses
with pegged collars, also probably early C18. C19 cream oven in the dining room.
Way Barton was the home of the La Way Family in the early C13. It was acquired by
the Pollard family in 1242. In 1640 it was owned by Lewis Wellington.
Source: Devon SMR.
Listing NGR: SS5560120561
Other nearby listed buildings