History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Margaret

A Grade II* Listed Building in Greetham with Somersby, Lincolnshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.234 / 53°14'2"N

Longitude: 0.0116 / 0°0'41"E

OS Eastings: 534364

OS Northings: 372659

OS Grid: TF343726

Mapcode National: GBR JSF.9RD

Mapcode Global: WHHKD.4ZT4

Entry Name: Church of St Margaret

Listing Date: 14 September 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1147772

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195995

Location: Greetham with Somersby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE23

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Greetham with Somersby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Somersby St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TF 37 SW Somersby
(north side)

2/69 Church of
14.9.66 St. Margaret

G.V. II*

Parish church. C15, restored 1865. Dressed greenstone, some
brick patching. Slate roofs. Decorative ridge. Coped gables
with single ridge crosses to the east nave, east chancel and
porch. Buttressed nave set on a plinth with heavy chamfered band
over, tower on a low plinth with moulded band over and chancel on
a low plinth. Tower, nave, south porch and chancel. Diagonal
buttressed single stage restored C15 tower with brick parapet and
single corner finials. The west side with single arched 2 light
window with cusped panel tracery, hood mould and label stops, 6
tie plates. The north side has 4 tie plates and the south side 2
tie plates. South and north sides with single arched bell 1
chamber openings. The north nave has a moulded arched blocked
doorway with hood mould and label stops. To the left is a single
restored C15 3 light window with cusped lights, hood mould and
label stops. The north chancel has a single C19 triangular
arched 2 light window with cusped tracery, hood mould and label
stops. The east end has a single similar larger 3 light window
with hood mould and label stops. The south nave has a single
arched C15 3 light window with cusped tracery, hood mould and
label stops. The gabled porch on a chamfered plinth with moulded
arched entrance and sundial over dated 1751. Inner moulded
arched doorway with hood mould and label stops, the the right is
a stoup. To the left is a single C15 arched and cusped light
under a flat arch. Interior. Double chamfered tower arch,
chamfering to arch only. Off-centre double chamfered chancel
arch, the inner order supported on octagonal responds with
moulded capitals. Plain octagonal ashlar font. South chancel
with brass to George Littlebury, 1612, of a kneeling male figure
with shield. Good memorial to Kath and Robert Burton, 1742. The
oval inscription tablet with surround of bayleaf is topped with a
carved bird. The crown with open pediment surmounted by urn and
lamps, decorative apron. Carved and coloured Royal Arms of
George III. Alfred Lord Tennyson's father was Rector of Somersby
and the adjoining village of Bag Enderby from 1808-31.

Listing NGR: TF3436472659

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.