History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Petrock

A Grade I Listed Building in South Brent, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.4277 / 50°25'39"N

Longitude: -3.8369 / 3°50'13"W

OS Eastings: 269619

OS Northings: 60257

OS Grid: SX696602

Mapcode National: GBR QC.GJ2X

Mapcode Global: FRA 27VX.P05

Entry Name: Church of St Petrock

Listing Date: 9 February 1961

Last Amended: 28 January 1987

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1147794

English Heritage Legacy ID: 99357

Location: South Brent, South Hams, Devon, TQ10

County: Devon

District: South Hams

Civil Parish: South Brent

Built-Up Area: South Brent

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: South Brent St Petroc

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
South Brent

Listing Text

In the entry for:
SX 6960

14/74 Church of St Petrock

The Grade shall be amended to read


14/74 Church of St Petrock

SX 6960

14/74 Church of St Petrock



Parish church. Circa C12 west tower, formerly at the crossing of the originally
cruciform church. The west end was demolished circa early C14 when the present
nave was rebuilt with two transepts. North and south aisles of early C15,
probably 1436 when three altars were dedicated, restored late C19. Granite rubble
slate roofs. All round the church are thin buttresses with set-offs. Nave and
north and south aisles under one roof. North aisle has two restored Perpendicular
three-light windows and restored three-light window with intersecting tracery and
three-light straight-headed windows with C13 blocked doorway below. South aisle
has two restored three-light Perpendicular windows three-light window with restored
intersectiing tracery and hollow-chamfered two-centred arch south doorway with
nail-studded plank door with wrought iron strap hinges. Circa C15 south porch
with two-centred moulded arch doorway. Chancel has restored Perpendicular windows,
three lights to south and four lights to east. North and south transepts with
restored four-light Perpendicular north and south windows, north transept has
blocked east window. chapels to north and south of chancel in the angles with
transepts, with moulded battlement and restored four-light Perpendicular windows.
The south chapel has a small chamfered depressed arch down on south side and a
rood stair turret with battlements in the angle with south transept. Unbuttressed
west tower (originally central) with three string courses and battlements on
corbel table, Lancet bell-openings. Blocked tower arches on north and west sides.
That on the west side has inserted three-light window with intersecting tracery
and restored mullions and a hollow-chamfered two-central arch window below.
Vestry in position of original south transept. Interior: Five bay north and south
acrades plus one way to chancel chapels with double-chamfered arches and tall
octagonal granite piers with moulded capitals of limestone. The arches to the
transepts are stilted on the east side to accommodate the screen which has been
removed. Double chamfered four-centred chancel arch high up on corbels. Plain
two-centred tower arch with imposts and blocked arch on south of tower. Nave,
transepts and chancel have late C19 inserted waggon roof. Triple sedilia on south
side of chancel with cusped ogee arches, two with shields in the spandrels.
Piscina has cusped arch and multifoil bowl. Cusped ogee-arched piscina in north
chapel. Late C12 red sandstone font with round bowl with cable moulding around
top, wide frieze of palmettes and ziggag below.
Base of circa wooden screeen used as altar rail. Late C19 furnishings including
carved chair stalls and pulpit and brass eagle lecturn. Monuments: Johannis Cary
1729 slate tablet in north chapel. Three early-mid C19 wall monument in chancel.
Admiral William Cuming, 1824 marble wall monument by Kendall of Exeter with mourning
female bent over an urn. At west end of north aisle a painted board to Robert
Prowse and wife 1717 with Latin inscription.

Listing NGR: SX6961760254

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.