This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7237 / 51°43'25"N
Longitude: 0.2265 / 0°13'35"E
OS Eastings: 553879
OS Northings: 205116
OS Grid: TL538051
Mapcode National: GBR MGK.XRW
Mapcode Global: VHHMG.WY20
Entry Name: Blake Hall
Listing Date: 20 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147912
English Heritage Legacy ID: 117753
Location: Bobbingworth, Epping Forest, Essex, CM5
District: Epping Forest
Civil Parish: Bobbingworth
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Bobbingworth St Germain
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 50 NW BOBBINGWORTH STONY LANE
1/29 Blake Hall
House, C18, remodelled 1822 by George Basevi, altered late C19 with wings to
N and S and third storey to central block. In 1944 the R.A.F. Station H.Q.
moved into Blake Hall from North Weald aerodrome and gutted the South Wing for
use as a flight operations centre for section E until the end of the war.
Of stuccoed brick with hipped grey slate roofs. The 3 storeyed centre block
breaks forward, with 2 storey ranges to right and left and an additional 2
storey block again breaking forward to far left. Moulded cornice to parapet
throughout with balustraded parapet and breaking forward moulded pediment to
centre block. 3:2:3:2:3 range of double hung small paned sash windows, except
for ground floor right range which has 3 round head small paned sash windows
with plain 2 order heads and band at spring level. Central band to N range.
Bands below first and second floor cills to main block which has 2 pilaster
strips to right and left and the central 3 bays break forward under pediment.
There is a small saluting platform with a mounting block and steps to right
of main range. 4 symmetrically placed stuccoed chimney stacks to main porch
and two matching stacks to left range. Central porch with 4 Doric columns.
Guttae, Triglyps and Metopes to frieze and moulded cornice to flat canopy.
6 panel door with moulded canopy and brackets. To the rear, the main block has
semi-circular bays to right and left, 3 storey 9 window range of small paned
sliding sashes, central 6 panel door with segmental light with glazing bars
over, pilasters, frieze and flat canopy. Above this the first floor window has
moulded frieze and head. Moulded cornice to blocked parapet. The south range
breaks forward with chamfered corners and matches the front range. The west
range has one bay set back and 3 bays break forward with a blocked parapet. The
ground floor of this range with loggias to each face. Interior: the hall has a
screen of 2 columns and pilasters of Tuscan order, moulded coving, architraves,
wainscoting, and dado panelling. A very fine late C17 staircase from Schomberg
House, Pall Mall was added early C20. Two beautiful Neo-Greek bookcases to the
rear wall, all that remain of the War Time gutting of the Library. There are
fine mouldings to architraves, wainscots and panelling throughout and the house,
home of the Capel-Cure family since 1789 stands in Parkland surrounded by a fine
Listing NGR: TL5387905116
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings