This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.9457 / 53°56'44"N
Longitude: -1.047 / 1°2'49"W
OS Eastings: 462648
OS Northings: 450376
OS Grid: SE626503
Mapcode National: GBR PQ4T.4B
Mapcode Global: WHFC9.W2LZ
Entry Name: Heslington Hall
Listing Date: 1 November 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1148497
English Heritage Legacy ID: 326185
Location: Heslington, York, YO10
Civil Parish: Heslington
Built-Up Area: York
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Heslington St Paul
Church of England Diocese: York
HESLINGTON UNIVERSITY ROAD
SE 65 SW
1/73 Heslington Hall
Country house now part of York University. 1565-1568 for Sir Thomas Eynns
with rebuilding of 1852-4 and later additions and alterations. C19
rebuilding by P.C. Hardwick for Yarburgh Yarburgh. c.1903 interior by W.
Brierley. Red brick in English bond with sandstone ashlar dressings and
some Magnesian limestone ashlar blocks of core exposed to rear, plain tile
roof. Centre of 2 storeys with basement and attics, 9 bays and wings of
single-bay, 2 storeys with basement and attics, then 2 storeys with 6 first
floor windows. Centre: flight of steps to central entrance in porch which
is a reproduction of original (q.v.), with round keyed arch on pilasters
between pairs of fluted Corinthian columns supporting frieze and triangular
pediment with finials to sides and centre. C20 glazed double doors in 4-
centred arch with moulded surround. Mainly 2 and 3-light cavetto-moulded
mullion and mullion and transom windows in ashlar surrounds except to 2nd
and 8th bays which are canted to 1st floor and have 5-light, 2-storey
mullion windows with 4 levels of transoms. 1st and 2nd floor bands. Low
parapet with three gables, the centre of which is ornamented by coat of
arms. Ashlar kneelers, coping and finials. Wings: plinth. End and off-
centre entrances in 4-centred surrounds. 2-light mullion and 2 and 3-light
mullion and transom windows throughout in ashlar surrounds. 1st and 2nd
floor bands. Low parapet. Central gables contain clock and sundial.
Ashlar coping and ball finials to gables and gable ends. Mainly clusters of
star-shaped stacks. Cast-iron rainwater heads and fall-pipes. Interior:
C16 pendant boss ceiling to hall of 2 storeys in height. Several rooms have
panelling with strapwork decoration and moulded plaster ceilings by
W. Brierley. Inscription to gable to Heslington Lane side (ie south wing
- (not visible)
- (not visible)
ONE OF QUEEN ELIZABETH'S
COUNCIL FOR THE NORTHERN
PART OF ENGLAND AND
SECRETARY AND KEEPER OF
HER MAJESTY'S SEAL FOR
THE SAID COUNCIL A.D. 1578
IT WAS RESTORED
ALTERED AND ENLARGED
BY YARBURGH YARBURGH
ESQUIRE A.D. 1854
J. P. Neale engraving of 1829 shows that the Victorian restoration was
faithful to the original. Eynns was Secretary of the King's Council in The
Northern Parts. Pevsner, N., Yorkshire: York and The East Riding, 1978, p.
251. Hey, D., Buildings of Britain 1550-1750, Yorkshire, 1981, pp.22-4.
Listing NGR: SE6264850376
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings