This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.8818 / 53°52'54"N
Longitude: -1.0945 / 1°5'40"W
OS Eastings: 459618
OS Northings: 443227
OS Grid: SE596432
Mapcode National: GBR NRSK.T6
Mapcode Global: WHFCH.5P1H
Plus Code: 9C5WVWJ4+P5
Entry Name: Moreby Hall
Listing Date: 17 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1148506
English Heritage Legacy ID: 326213
Location: Stillingfleet, Selby, North Yorkshire, YO19
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Stillingfleet
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Stillingfleet St Helen
Church of England Diocese: York
SELBY STILLINGFLEET B1222
SE 54 SE
Country house. 1828-32. 'H M P / 1830' on fall pipe, with later
conservatory to rear of service wing. By Anthony Salvin for Henry Preston.
Sandstone ashlar with Welsh slate roof. Main block square on plan with 3-
stage tower to north-west and service block square on plan around central
courtyard set back to west and joined by service corridor to main range.
Jacobethan. Main range: 2 storeys with attics to projecting, outer gabled
bays, 3 bays arranged 1-1-1 with three-stage tower and stair turret to rear
of left return. Moulded plinth continuing to form balustrade with urns.
Central bay: flight of steps to central 4-centred entrance a 6-long-panel,
double-door with Gothic tracery within moulded surround between 2-light,
cavetto-moulded mullion and transom windows all under continuous hoodmould.
First floor band continues across wings. Rounded tripartite oriel window.
Low parapet. Gable with pinnacle. Wings (alike): two-storey embattled
canted bays with 6-light cavetto-moulded mullion and transom windows.
Ground floor has two levels of transoms. Continuous 2nd-floor band. 2-
light mullion window to gables. Octagonal stacks to inner side of gable.
Finial. Octagonal ridge stacks in groups of 3. Rear (garden front): 3 bays
arranged 1-3-1. Projecting gabled bays to sides. Central bay has loggia of
five 4-centred arches to ground floor with embattled, canted bay above.
Mullion and transom windows throughout, those to ground floor with panes of
stained glass. Outer gables surmounted by finials. Gable to centre has
flat head and is crowned by 3 octagonal stacks. Tower: staircase window to
left a 4-light mullion window with 3 levels of transoms and arched lights.
Otherwise 1 and 2-arched-light mullion windows. Second and third floor
bands. Battlements incorporate group of 4 octagonal stacks. Slightly
higher embattled octagonal turret adjoins to rear left. Service wing. Two
storeys, 4 bays of which that to right projects slightly and is gabled, with
3-storey, single-bay tower to left, adjoined to main range by single-storey,
6-bay corridor. Entrance to 4th bay of corridor, 6 steps to Tudor-arched,
long-panel door in cavetto-moulded surround and under stepped hoodmould. 1,
2 and 3-light mullion windows throughout. Low parapet with coping to
corridor. Stacks to front and ridge. Tent roof to tower surmounted by
weather vane. Left return facade has elliptical carriage arch with
chamfered jambs and double, 22-panel carriage doors. Inner court has 2 and
3-light mullion and mullion and transom windows. Interior (main building):
entrance hall has 3-bay arcade to 2-storey staircase hall lit by wooden top
lantern. Tudor-arched chimney-piece. Pointed arch with cluster columns
leads to framed newel Jacobethan oak staircase with griffins and beasts to
newels. Arcaded balcony to first floor. Hall has oak panelling and
4 probably C19 cartoons of nude males in grisaille reputed to be Italian.
Dining-room has coffered ceiling and Jacobethan marble fireplace. Long
gallery lined with Italianate bookcases, coffered ceiling. Drawing room
hung with Chinese bird wallpaper of probably late C18 date. Service block
has cast-iron kitchen range inscribed: 'B & E BUSHELL / IRONMONGERS / YORK.
/ GG FIRST PRIZE MEDALS / AWARDED / EAGLE RANGE / GOLD MEDAL AT HEALTH EXH.'
Henry Preston (1779-1857) was High Sherrif of North Yorkshire in 1835. The
cost of the building was £4,000. Sir Charles Eastlake specially praised the
service wing. Eastlake, Charles, A History of the Gothic Revival, 1872,
pp.128-9; Ferriday, P., Victorian Architecture, 1963, p.60; The Builder,
Vol.41, December 31, 1881, p.809; York Georgian Society, Annual Report,
1978, pp.31-34. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, York and the East Riding, 1978, pp
Listing NGR: SE5961843227
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings