This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.4342 / 54°26'3"N
Longitude: -0.8125 / 0°48'45"W
OS Eastings: 477124
OS Northings: 504955
OS Grid: NZ771049
Mapcode National: GBR QKR5.W7
Mapcode Global: WHF8X.HT92
Entry Name: Red House
Listing Date: 26 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1148580
English Heritage Legacy ID: 328009
Location: Glaisdale, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO21
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Glaisdale
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Glaisdale St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: York
NZ 70 SE GLAISDALE GLAISDALE SIDE
12/90 Red House
Farmhouse, probably a longhouse with one end rebuilt as finer
dwelling. Probably late C17, rebuild dated 1748 with initials FF
on door lintel. Herringbone-tooled sandstone, rougher on earlier
right part; pantiled roofs with stone ridge, copings, kneelers and
chimneys. Linear plan.
Main part 2 storeys, 3 bays. Chamfered plinth. C20 door under
heavy lintel with 1748 FF on keystone. Sundial in raised bolection-
moulded panel over. 3 steps up to door. Flanking 4-pane sash
windows with extended keyed lintels and projecting cills; similar
first-floor windows. Corniced end chimneys and moulded kneelers.
Older right part 2 lower storeys, 2 wide bays, the right bay an
outhouse extension. At left the cross-passage door with chamfered
alternating-block jambs and heavy lintel. Low 8-pane sash to right,
6-pane sash above. In right extension a double cart door and a
small fixed light. Central square stack with cornice band.
Left return shows small modern attic window. Rear elevation of
main house 3 bays. Central stair window in alternating-block
surround with extended lintel, initials FMC on keystone. On ground
floor one 3-light Yorkshire sash and a 12-pane sash; two 6-pane
sashes on first floor all with projecting cills and keystones.
Rear wall of lower part blank.
Interior: Good woodwork throughout includes panelled doors, window
shutters and cupboards. In parlour an old stone fireplace with
deep lintel, much damaged; and in rear wall a round-arched cupboard
with fluted pilasters, archivolt with moulded key, raised spandrel
panels and a top cornice; shaped shelves inside, and domed roof.
Old kitchen has firebeam with deep moulded and dentilled cornice;
salt and spice cupboards in inglenook. Closed-string stair has
turned balusters with square knops, slightly-rounded grip handrail,
square landing newel and turned bottom newel with bun finials.
Upstairs 2 other panelled cupboards. Roof has collar-and-tie-beam
trusses. Purlins are stout re-used timbers, possibly late medieval.
Principal rafters meet the walls about 3 feet below eaves level,
and show trenches for earlier collars. Purlins are pushed outwards
and rest on small spurs, to give a shallower pitch to the common
rafters; all showing that roof was raised, probably at 1748
renovation, while leaving principals in their original position.
Internal doors are changed, so it is not certain which end of the
house was rebuilt, though cross-passage door position suggests the
R.C.H.M. op.cit. pp.82,83 and passim.
Listing NGR: NZ7712404955
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings