This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.4361 / 54°26'10"N
Longitude: -0.7245 / 0°43'28"W
OS Eastings: 482827
OS Northings: 505273
OS Grid: NZ828052
Mapcode National: GBR RKC4.YJ
Mapcode Global: WHF8Y.VR5K
Entry Name: Post Office and Attached Outbuildings
Listing Date: 7 July 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1148750
English Heritage Legacy ID: 327608
Location: Grosmont, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO22
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Grosmont
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Grosmont St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: York
(north side, off)
Post Office and attached outbuildings (formerly listed under the parish of Egton)
The address shall be amended to read
NZ 80 NW
north Side, off)
Post Office and attached Outbuilding.
NZ 80 NW
(north side, off)
Post Office and attached outbuildings (formerly listed under the Parish of Egton)
Post Office and attached outbuildings, used for storage. c.1835, extended
shortly afterwards; further alteration and extension later in C19. Post
Office reroofed c.1980. For the Whitby and Pickering Railway Company.
Original part in hammered sandstone; extension in bordered tooled
sandstone with added red brick lean-to in English garden wall bond.
Pantile roofs, and stone and rebuilt brick stacks. L-shaped on plan.
Railway front: 2-storey and attic, 3-window, gable-end: 2-storey and
basement, 3-window extension at right. Gable end has plank double; doors
beneath painted cambered timber lintel at left of inserted 6-pane sash with
painted stone sill. On first floor, 2-light mullioned windows flank later
inserted 3-light casement. Lunette attic window in architrave, beneath
semicircular hoodmould. Lintels to inserted windows are bordered and
tooled. Overhanging bracketed eaves with plain bargeboards. Right side
stack at base of pitched roof. Extension has C20 replacement door in
raised elliptical-arched surround, between unequal 9-pane sashes. 12-pane
sashes on first floor and 6-pane on second: central windows on both floors
are blind. All windows have painted stone sills and tooled lintels.
Raised first floor band. Left-of-centre stack. Right return: 2-storey,1-
window gable end with 1-storey lean-to extension at right. Two panelled
doors with overlights in extension. Tall 18-pane shop window beneath
tooled lintel on ground floor; 2-light large-pane casement window, beneath
ogee-shaped lintel with blind Gothick tracery in tympanum, in gable end.
Original building probably built as warehousing and used jointly by the
railway company and the licensee of the Tunnel Inn (now the Station Tavern,
q.v.), John Buttery. A stable adjoining the warehouse on the east said to
have been destroyed by Second World War bomb. By 1856, the present Post
Office was in existence, combined with a grocer's shop. The ground floor
of the warehouse was still used for that purpose, while the second floor
had become a reading-room and library, and the third floor a shoemaker's
Listing NGR: NZ8282705273
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings