This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.4624 / 54°27'44"N
Longitude: -0.5787 / 0°34'43"W
OS Eastings: 492225
OS Northings: 508374
OS Grid: NZ922083
Mapcode National: GBR SJDV.H4
Mapcode Global: WHGB5.23PD
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 7 July 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1148754
English Heritage Legacy ID: 327619
Location: Hawsker-cum-Stainsacre, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO22
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Hawsker-cum-Stainsacre
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hawsker cum Stainsacre All Saints
Church of England Diocese: York
HAWSKER-CUM-STAINSACRE HAWSKER LANE
NZ 90 NW
5/143 Church of All
Church. 1876-77. By E.H.Smales. Rockfaced sandstone on chamfered plinth;
ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with red ridge tiles, originally pierced.
Timber framed porch. 3-bay nave and south porch; central tower; chancel,
and north organ chamber and vestry. Pointed 2-light west window with
quatrefoil tracery, rolled sill moulding with foliate stops, and flat
impost band. Glazed slit window in gable end. Stack pierces roof pitch to
left of gable apex. Gabled porch, partly glazed, partly boarded in,
contains flat ogee-arched doorway beneath tympanum with date carved in
relief. Two windows to east of porch are of single and triple cusped
lancets. Nave north side windows are of similar lancets, two paired and
one single. Buttressed tower has lancet bellopenings with scallop-edged
louvres. Gabled staircase turret projects on north side behind pent
vestry. Steeply hipped tower roof, with finials and cross. South side of
chancel has one trefoil and one quatrefoil light, and on north side a
cinquefoil. Three rectangular windows in north wall of vestry and organ
chamber, and flat ogee-arched doorway in east return. East window is
pointed, of three cusped lights beneath quatrefoil tracery. East gable
cross. All gables coped.
Interior. Two massive cusped arches beneath tower, the west one with
rolled hoodmould on floral stops. Cusped and gabled timber chancel screen.
Several pretty tiled wall panels and monuments, notably that to Martha
McCausland (d.1893) at west end of nave. Two original brass candelabra in
nave. Several windows are worthy of note: three in nave north wall, one in
south, and one in tower south wall, possibly mid C19, after Alfred Rethel.
East and west windows probably by Powell's. The remainder are leaded with
delicately tinted glass. Arch-braced king post roof with embattled ties,
and quatrefoiled spandrels. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire,
the North Riding, p.185.
Listing NGR: NZ9222508374
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings