This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.1162 / 54°6'58"N
Longitude: -0.9143 / 0°54'51"W
OS Eastings: 471066
OS Northings: 469465
OS Grid: SE710694
Mapcode National: GBR QN1V.V7
Mapcode Global: WHFBD.XSSV
Entry Name: Pyramid Gatehouse and Flanking Wings
Listing Date: 25 January 1954
Last Amended: 22 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1148979
English Heritage Legacy ID: 329029
Location: Henderskelfe, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO60
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Henderskelfe
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Bulmer St Martin
Church of England Diocese: York
HENDERSKELFE THE STRAY
12/73 Pyramid Gatehouse and
25.1.54 (formerly listed as The
Gatehouse. 1719 by Sir John Vanbrugh for Charles Howard, 3rd Earl of
Carlisle. Flanking wings 1756 by Sir Thomas Robinson for Henry Howard, 4th
Earl of Carlisle. Gatehouse: limestone ashlar, stone slate roof. Chamfered
plinth. Round arch surmounted by Carlisle arms. Impost band on consoles
with 2-course band held on consoles at springer level and Carlisle arms
above. Machicolation over arch with central keystone bearing a head in
relief. Sunk plaque above reads "Carolus Howard Comes Carliolensis Hoc
Condidit Anno Dni MDCCXIX". Pyramidal roof surmounted by pyramid as
eyecatcher. Interior of arch has quadripartite vault. Victorian wall
letter box. Entrances to wings: 6-fielded-panel double-leaf doors beneath
flat stone arches with blind lunettes over. Flanking wings: 2 storeys, 8
bays, forming symmetrical composition, not individually symmetrical, but
balancing one another. Second and outer bays break forward and are
pedimented. All ground-floor windows are round-arched sashes, those to 7
outer bays recessed in a keyed arcade with impost band. First-floor band.
6-pane sashes to left wing. Casements to right wing. Moulded cornice and
parapet. Ball finials to pediments. Ridge stacks. 1758 on rainwater
heads. To rear at left gable end are 2 cellars over which runs a balcony
supported by a Tuscan column and approached by an L-shaped flight of steps
leading to a gable end door. Machicolated square turret abutts the stairs.
The interior of the left wing was completely destroyed by fire in 1923 and
has been refurbished. Until recently the wings were attributed to Daniel
Garrett; a legal submission in Castle Howard Archives (G3/4/1) dated 1759
shows conclusively that they are by Sir Thomas Robinson. Hussey C, English
Gardens and Landscapes 1700-1750, 1967. Lees-Milne J, English Country
Houses: Baroque 1685-1715, 1970. HBMC, Register of Parks and Gardens of
special historic interest in England, Part 32, North Yorkshire: Castle
Howard, Grade I.
Listing NGR: SE7108469467
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings