This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1392 / 54°8'20"N
Longitude: -1.5391 / 1°32'20"W
OS Eastings: 430209
OS Northings: 471578
OS Grid: SE302715
Mapcode National: GBR KNPK.LZ
Mapcode Global: WHC7V.B7B5
Entry Name: South West Block of Ripon Grammar School
Listing Date: 19 March 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1149381
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330028
Location: Ripon, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Ripon
Built-Up Area: Ripon
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
In the entry for:
SE 3071 RIPON CLOTHERHOLME ROAD
2/218 (north side)
of Ripon Grammar
The description shall be amended to read:
Private school, now grammar school. 1827 with later alterations, additions of c1878
and 1888 by George Corson. Pink brick with brick and. stone dressings, hipped slate roof.
Two storeys on basement, original U-plan with later addition to east corner. Front
range of original school has schoolmaster's house of 5 bays by 5 bays, elevations on 3 side
with 6 bay wings to rear at either corner. Plinth with stone copings. House has
central unusual and extremely 'pure' Greek Doric temple front acting as porch, in
which not only do the columns have no bases, but also the triglyphs extend backwards
as stone joists, leaving empty spaces where there are normally metopes, thus
illustrating the supposed primitive origins of these forms. Pedimented top.
Flanking tall 12-pane sashes with ashlar aprons. 5 similar smaller sashes above on ashlar
sill band. All windows below flat brick arches. Wooden bracketed eaves. Hipped
roof. Brick ridge stacks, gabled roof dormers. Side elevations similar, except 2
basement windows to either side, some windows are dummy. Rear wings have irregular
fenestration of sashes. Late C19 Gothic revival style extension in red brick to
east with impressive pyramidal roofed tower. Interior of original block has cantilevered
stone staircase with iron balustrade, one original fireplace to left hand front room
and triglyphed frieze to entrance hall. History: the school was commissioned by
Mrs Elizabeth Sophia Lawrence (1761-1844) of Studley Royal and was designed as a
private school. It became a grammar school 1874-1879.
SE 3071 RIPON CLOTHERHOLME ROAD
South-West Block of
Ripon Grammar School
Circa 1870. Pink brick. Hipped slate roof. Two storeys. Wooden bracketed eaves.
Continuous first floor sill. Five bays: sashes with glazing bars. Unusual and
extremely "pure" Greek Doric temple front acting as porch, in which not only do the
columns have no bases, but also the triglyphs are extended backward as stone joists,
leaving empty spaces where there are normally metopes, and thus illustrating the
supposed primitive origins of these forms.
Late C19 Gothick extension in red brick to the east, with an impressive pyramidal-
History. The present Grammar School may have its origins in the school attached to
the mediaeval college, but this was dissolved at the Dissolution of the Chantries in
1547. The school was re-founded in 1555 on a site in High St Agnes Gate, just south
of the parish church (as it was at the time), and was thus independent of the college
when this was re-founded in 1604. It moved to its present site circa 1870.
Listing NGR: SE3020971578
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings