This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1208 / 54°7'14"N
Longitude: -0.5437 / 0°32'37"W
OS Eastings: 495277
OS Northings: 470411
OS Grid: SE952704
Mapcode National: GBR SNNS.2L
Mapcode Global: WHGCQ.MP8B
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 10 October 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1149656
English Heritage Legacy ID: 329370
Location: Luttons, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO17
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Luttons
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Helperthorpe St Peter
Church of England Diocese: York
LUTTONS HELPERTHORPE TO SHERBURN
SE 97 SE
10/30 Church of St Peter
Church. 1872-75 by G E Street. North aisle and vestry added, and some
alteration, in 1893 by Temple Moore. For Sir Tatton Sykes. Sandstone
ashlar on chamfered plinth, with tiled roof and pierced cresting. West
tower, 4-bay nave, north aisle and south porch; higher chancel and vestry.
3-stage tower on moulded plinth with half-hexagonal vice to south east. 3-
light west window,with cinquefoil tracery, beneath 2 trefoil-headed lights.
Pointed bell openings beneath leaf-stopped hoodmoulds to each face, of
paired cusped lights with pierced shutters. Belfry string course. Low
broach spire with bands and gablets, and cockerel weather-vane. Vice has
sloped top and statue of St Peter set in niche beneath gabled canopy. West
end of aisle has angle buttress and gabled 3-light window beneath continuous
hoodmould. Gabled porch has continuous moulded pointed arch of 2 orders
beneath coved hoodmould. 3 stepped cusped lancets over eaves level string
course. Two 2-light windows east of porch. Further east broad shouldered
buttress on moulded chamfered plinth. On north side, pointed door in
filleted, roll-moulded arch, and three 2-light windows. End and
intermediate buttresses. Moulded eaves band and plain parapet. Chancel
south side has gabled buttress and two 2-light windows. Vestry added on
north side with square-headed north door, moulded eaves band and plain
parapet. 2 square-headed east windows of 2 lights beneath stepped eaves
band. Small 2-light window in chancel wall, and stack at base of roof.
Chancel east end has dwarf central gabled buttress beneath pointed window of
5 cusped lancets. Moulded sill band encircles church. Window tracery is
geometrical. Coped gables, and gable crosses to nave, chancel and porch.
Interior: tall, narrow tower arch of 3 orders, the inner chamfered and dying
into the sides, the outer 2 roll-moulded and continuing as side shafts with
annulets. North arcade of pointed arches of 2 orders on clustered columns
with moulded capitals. Wide, double-chamfered chancel arch dying into the
sides. Sedilia and piscina. Circular font on clustered columns and wood
cover with fine wrought-iron work. Carved stone pulpit. Fine carved stone
altar-piece at east end of aisle, of 3 crocketed ogee-arched niches each
containing a sculpted figure. Stone arcaded chancel altar-piece with leafy
frieze. Low chancel screen of pointed wrought iron. Carved pews by Temple
Moore. Glass is by Burlison and Grylls. Roofs. Nave: arch-braced, collar-
beam roof with cusped wind-braced purlins. Aisle: corbelled arch braces
with centre bosses and moulded ridge piece. Porch: pointed tunnel vault.
Listing NGR: SE9527770411
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings