This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.1204 / 54°7'13"N
Longitude: -1.5948 / 1°35'41"W
OS Eastings: 426582
OS Northings: 469471
OS Grid: SE265694
Mapcode National: GBR KN9S.JP
Mapcode Global: WHC7T.GPSK
Plus Code: 9C6W4CC4+53
Entry Name: Church of Saint Lawrence
Listing Date: 6 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1149796
English Heritage Legacy ID: 331005
Location: Aldfield, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Aldfield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SE 26 NE ALDFIELD MAIN STREET
8/3 Church of Saint Lawrence
Church of Saint Lawrence. Mid - late C18. Coursed gritstone rubble,
Westmorland slate roof. 3-bay nave, west bell-cote, north transept with
vestry, shallow east projection. South side: central 6-panel double door,
chamfered jambs, under round-arched window with Gothick tracery. Flanking
Gothick windows with Y tracery. Below eaves, centre: sundial with
inscription: '1696 Mr. A. SMITH R.W R.L'. Gable copings, lead covered.
Rear (north) side: projecting north transept of well-dressed stone. West
end: bell-cote supported by a projecting shouldered buttress with central
studded board door and stone steps, possibly a mounting block, to left.
East window in narrow gabled projection has 2 trefoil-headed lights and
quatrefoil. Interior: reduced pointed arch to vestry; shallow sanctuary
area paved in marble and stone slabs; vaulted ceiling with moulded plaster
ribs; 3-decker pulpit with sounding board and original candlesticks to right
of entrance; low altar rail with turned balusters; box pews throughout the
body of the church, and an organ inserted across the west doorway.
Listing NGR: SE2658269471
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings