This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9937 / 53°59'37"N
Longitude: -1.2918 / 1°17'30"W
OS Eastings: 446524
OS Northings: 455525
OS Grid: SE465555
Mapcode National: GBR MQF8.34
Mapcode Global: WHD9P.4W37
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 15 March 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1149932
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330646
Location: Kirk Hammerton, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, YO26
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Kirk Hammerton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SE 45 NE KIRK HAMMERTON CHURCH STREET
4/67 Church of St. John the
Church of St. John the Baptist. Cllth and possibly earlier, with
alterations and additions early C13, 1834 and 1890-91 by Mr. H. Fowler of
Durham for E.W. Stanyforth of Kirk Hammerton Hall. Large squared gritstone
blocks, stone slate roof, to earliest part. Coursed gritstone, tile roof to
C19 addition. Aisled 3-bay nave with south-west tower, 2-bay chancel with
north vestry. Anglo-Saxon tower of 2 stages with 2-round-headed-light
belfry windows with colonette. Plain projecting band below window level.
Shallow pyramidal roof. Nave: south aisle, former Anglo-Saxon chancel and
nave, has round-headed doorway with projecting band and imposts. A 2-light
window to first cell and 2 lancet windows to the second cell, with a 3-light
Perpendicular-style east window. The church of 1890-91 is composed of north
aisle with 2-light windows, a 4-light west window to nave, and a 4-light
chancel window all in Perpendicular style. Interior: south arcade has early
C13 columns and shallow pointed arches. The north arcade has 2 octagonal
pillars. The east end of the south aisle (Anglo-Saxon chancel) has early
English sedilia and piscina. The walls and arch-braced roof of the late C19
parts are richly painted. The Society for the Protection of Ancient
Buildings (founded 1877) advised in the restoration. The Anglo-Saxon church
has been extensively described. R. Morris, 'Kirk Hammerton Church: the
Tower and the Fabric', Archaeological Journal 133)(1976) pp 95-103;
N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding, (1967) p 290; H. Speight, Nidderdale,
(1894) p 126; H.M. & J. Taylor, Anglo-Saxon Architecture (1965), Vol I pp.
Listing NGR: SE4652555524
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings