This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.019 / 54°1'8"N
Longitude: -1.3277 / 1°19'39"W
OS Eastings: 444148
OS Northings: 458324
OS Grid: SE441583
Mapcode National: GBR MP5Z.C1
Mapcode Global: WHD9N.K7ZR
Entry Name: Whixley Hall
Listing Date: 8 March 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1149939
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330658
Location: Whixley, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, YO26
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Whixley
Built-Up Area: Whixley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SE 45 NW WHIXLEY WEST LANE
(north side, off)
3/79 Whixley Hall
House, now 2 dwellings. Mid-late C17, 2 builds, with restoration of 1907. Red brick,
English bond, C20 ashlar, stone slate roof. H-shaped plan with rear courtyard, the
south and west ranges apparently added to the east range. 2 storeys, 7 first-floor
windows, the 2 at each end in slightly projecting wings. Stone-capped plinth,
central C20 6-panel door with overlight in heavily-moulded ashlar surround with
consoles supporting broken segmental pediment with vase. Wooden cross-windows
with glazing bars under flat brick arches. Wings have giant pilaster strips
which contain the windows and ground-floor drip-mould. Deep wooden modillioned
eaves cornice. Hipped roofs to wings. Stack on ridge between centre block and left
wing. Second stack far right. Rear: ground floor, left, a 4-light mullioned window
in the north end of the east range. Tumbled brickwork in gable. Probably re-set
datestone inscribed '1840 L.W. in scrolled surround
built into the right return of this range. Remaining windows mostly C20. Left
return: (west side) of 8 bays has a re-set datestone of 1680. Right return
(east side) has scattered fenestration and an external stack, a 3-light mullioned
window to first floor left with large staircase window below and a re-set datestone
inscribed 'RT KT 1654'. Interior: east range contains fine dog-leg staircase with
turned balusters and tall angularly-carved newel posts rising high above the moulded
handrail. An engraving in the hall inscribed 'Christopher Tancred's seat 1698'
shows the south front before the C20 restoration, but not very different. Christopher
Tancred died in 1754 and bequeathed the hall as an almshouse for 12'decayed
gentlemen'. The hall remained an almshouse or 'hospital' until after 1850 but was
disused in 1881. The central section of the south front was apparently restored and
rebuilt by Walter Brierley in 1907, but he followed the original design quite
Kelly's Directory of Yorkshire West Riding, 1881, 1889, 1904, 1912.
N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding, 1967, p 552.
William and Co., Directory of Towns and Villages Hull 1844.
Listing NGR: SE4414858324
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings