This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9545 / 53°57'16"N
Longitude: -1.4471 / 1°26'49"W
OS Eastings: 436382
OS Northings: 451072
OS Grid: SE363510
Mapcode National: GBR LQBQ.H5
Mapcode Global: WHD9S.RV3T
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 2 September 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1149979
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330542
Location: Spofforth with Stockeld, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Spofforth with Stockeld
Built-Up Area: Spofforth
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Spofforth with Kirk Deighton
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 35 SE SPOFFORTH WITH STOCKELD CHURCH LANE
3/74 The Old Rectory
House. Several builds, mainly late C18 with C14 remains. Coursed sandstone
and ashlar, stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 7 bays, the 2 bays to left in
slightly projecting wing. C19 half-glazed door with overlight with glazing
bars in moulded surround with pulvinated entablature. Ground- and first-
floor windows are all 12-light sashes in plain surrounds and with projecting
linking band at first-floor sill level. The 2 ground-floor, left windows
are glazed but blocked - apparently an original feature. Hipped roof to
left wing, stack on ridge between main range and wing. Rear wall of left
wing has blocked window with C14 plate tracery at first-floor level.
Interior has fine C18 staircase with moulded handrail and paired balusters.
Gadrooning also on alternate balusters. The newel post in the form of a
fluted column with gadrooning on capital. Gadrooning also on alternate
balusters. The house is said to be on the site of the hospital of St Mary
Magdalene. The building also known as Spofforth House.
Listing NGR: SE3638251072
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings