This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9365 / 53°56'11"N
Longitude: -1.4348 / 1°26'5"W
OS Eastings: 437205
OS Northings: 449075
OS Grid: SE372490
Mapcode National: GBR LQFX.5M
Mapcode Global: WHD9Z.XBY2
Entry Name: Stockeld Park House
Listing Date: 2 September 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1149986
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330556
Location: Spofforth with Stockeld, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, LS22
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Spofforth with Stockeld
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Spofforth with Kirk Deighton
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 34 NE SPOFFORTH WITH STOCKELD HARROGATE ROAD
(west side, off)
7/87 Stockeld Park House
Small Palladian mansion. 1758-63 by James Paine for William Middleton; late
C19 additions. Millstone grit and ashlar, Westmorland slate roof.
3-storey, 3-bay central block flanked by 2-storey wings, each of one wide
bay. Garden (original entrance) facade: chamfered rustication to ground
floor, ashlar masonry above. Central glazed door with overlight under flat
arch with keystone, flanked by sashes with glazing bars. First-floor
central window has cornice carried on consoles with segmental' pediment
over. 3 square 6-light sashes to second floor. Deep eaves cornice,
triangular pediment with shield and swags. Side wings have canted bays to
ground floor, each with 3 sashes with glazing bars. Semicircular recesses
to first floor contain segmental-headed sashes with glazing bars, consoles
and curved cornice over. Balustrade over the canted bays carried across
central block on corbels. Open triangular pediments to gable ends. Side
stacks to central block, ridge stacks to wings. Rear facade of ashlar with
quoins to ground floor has a late C19 portico with 4 pairs of Tuscan columns
to ground-floor central block. Ground-floor windows to wings have Gibbs
surrounds and triangular pediments over. Left return of 6 bays with central
alcoves to ground and first floor and open triangular pediment over.
Interior: central oval staircase hall has fine plasterwork and curved
connecting doors. The cantilevered stone staircase rises through 3 floors
and has curved stick balusters of iron and a plain ramped handrail. The
stairwell is lit by an oval glazed dome. Original entrance hall, now the
morning room, contains original fireplace, shutters, doors and doorcases,
and a bucranium frieze and mouldings to ceiling. Other rooms contain
original plasterwork and fireplaces. C19 alterations to former chapel at
north end of west wing included flooring over the sanctuary area (now part
of the cellars), insertinga newfireplace, doorcases and plasterwork.
Large service and nursery wing added to east side, 1892-96. James Paine
illustrated the house in his Plans, Elevations and Sections of Noblemen and
Gentlemens' Houses ... Part I, 1769. The house is considered to be one of
Paine's most impressive designs. Pevsner, West Riding, p 502.
Listing NGR: SE3720549075
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings