This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0159 / 54°0'57"N
Longitude: -1.3669 / 1°22'0"W
OS Eastings: 441584
OS Northings: 457954
OS Grid: SE415579
Mapcode National: GBR LQW0.W4
Mapcode Global: WHD9M.ZB85
Entry Name: Church of St Martin
Listing Date: 15 March 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1149996
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330586
Location: Allerton Mauleverer with Hopperton, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG5
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Allerton Mauleverer with Hopperton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SE 45 NW ALLERTON MAULEVERER ALLERTON PARK
3/7 Church of St. Martin
Church of St. Martin. Rebuilt c1745 for Hon. Richard Arundell. Ashlar to
west front, coursed limestone elsewhere. Stone slates and corrugated sheets
to roof. Norman style. Nave of 6 bays with north and south aisles and
transepts. Tower, between nave and chancel, flanked by stair and former
vestry. Chancel of 2 bays. West front has central plank and stud door with
semicircular overlight in moulded surround. Circular west window in
architrave, above, flanked by round-arched windows with voussoirs. Aisles
are gabled and project slightly with round-headed windows, flanking
pilasters and open pediments. Returns of aisles have 4 round-headed windows
with 2-light windows to transepts. 5-light Perpendicular style-chancel east
window containing some original glass. A continuous projecting band around
the building at sill level. Tower of 3 stages with round-headed belfry
windows with continuous band over. Shallow pyramidal roof with weather
vane. Interior: original vase-shaped font, 2-decker pulpit with sounding
board over, and panelled box pews. Iron gates to north and south transepts
and to chancel. North transept contains 2 wooden effigies of cross-legged
knights of the late C13 or early C14 and alabaster effigies of Sir John and
Alyson Mauleverer (1475). Also a brass of Sir John and Eleanor Mauleverer
(c1400). South transept has massive tomb of Mrs. Mary Thornton (d.1800).
The chancel is plainly fitted. See: L. Butler, Guide to St. Martins,
Allerton Mauleverer, Redundant Churches Fund, London, 1980.
H. Speight, Nidderdale, London, 1894, p200.
Listing NGR: SE4158457954
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings