History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Leathley Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Leathley, North Yorkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9169 / 53°55'0"N

Longitude: -1.6413 / 1°38'28"W

OS Eastings: 423657

OS Northings: 446811

OS Grid: SE236468

Mapcode National: GBR JRZ4.GM

Mapcode Global: WHC8R.RTM3

Entry Name: Leathley Hall

Listing Date: 22 November 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1150013

English Heritage Legacy ID: 330518

Location: Leathley, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, LS21

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Leathley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Leathley St Oswald

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Leathley

Listing Text

SE 24 NW LEATHLEY LEATHLEY LANE
(east side, off)

4/50 Leathley Hall

22.11.66

GV II


House. Early C18 and C19. Coursed squared gritstone, graduated stone slate
roof. 2 storeys, 9 first-floor windows, the central 3-window block breaking
forward slightly and gabled. Alternate chamfered quoins to wings and
central block. C20 central glazed double doors with fanlight, flanking
columns with open pediment. Flanking and 3 first-floor windows to central
block are narrow, 8-pane sashes with moulded architraves. Flanking wings
have larger sashes with glazing bars and moulded architraves to ground and
first floors. String-course at first-floor level curves up to quoins of
side wings. Gable to central block and left end have shaped kneelers. M-
shaped roof, ashlar coping left, hipped roof right. Ridge stacks left and
flanking centre block. Interior not inspected. The house appears to have
been the manor house of Leathley until it was sold to Walter Ramsden Fawkes
of Farnley in the second half of the C18. The name 'Manor house' is now
applied to..another, smaller, house in the village (qv). Robert Hitch
(d 1723) occupied it as Lord of the Manor in the early C18 and in his diary
entry for 13 February 1718 John Warburton recorded that Robert had been
'adorning and beautifying it with a new south front, a wing to the east, and
outhouses, offices, gardens and other embellishments'. For further
information see H Speight, Upper Wharfedale, London, 1900, p 112.


Listing NGR: SE2365746811

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.