This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1409 / 54°8'27"N
Longitude: -1.5159 / 1°30'57"W
OS Eastings: 431726
OS Northings: 471780
OS Grid: SE317717
Mapcode National: GBR KNVK.MC
Mapcode Global: WHC7V.P5CV
Entry Name: Chapel of the Hospital of St Mary Magdalene
Listing Date: 27 May 1949
Last Amended: 19 March 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1150194
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330124
Location: Ripon, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Ripon
Built-Up Area: Ripon
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Ripon Cathedral Parish with Littlethorpe
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 3171 RIPON MAGDALEN'S ROAD
1/23 (east side)
Chapel of the Hospital
of St Mary Magdalene
[formerly listed as
Hospital of St Mary
Hospital founded by Archbishop Thurstan (Archbishop 1114-40), and the chapel must date
from shortly after the foundation. South doorway C12. Otherwise substantially C15.
Hammer-dressed limestone. Low-pitched roof with parapets; finial on east gable;
bellcote on west gable. Low side window on south site. Four-light Perpendicular east
Interior has very good furnishings, including C15 screen, mediaeval stone altar,
mediaeval tesselated pavement, and C17 communion rail with turned balusters.
History. The Hospital of St Mary Magdalene is slightly younger than that of St John,
but this chapel is the only complete fragment of any of Ripon's mediaeval hospitals to
survive from the time of its foundation. It had sisters and a priest, whose duties
were to feed and shelter lepers, maintain blind priests born in Ripon, and give alms
to the poor.
Subsequent Archbishops provided it with brothers also, and a master; and in 1295
Archbishop Romanus decided that the master had to be a resident prebendary of the
College. Subsequently the mastership was held by Abbot Marmaduke Bradley, the last
Abbot of Fountains, who ended his days as a prebendary of Ripon. In 1544-45 it was
re-organised as an Almshouse by Archbishop Lee; and when James I re-founded the
college in 1604 its mastership (together with that of St John) was annexed to the new
foundation as a perpetual gift. From the late C17 the masterships of the 2 hospitals
were amalgamated in the office of Dean of Ripon.
In this period, when the mastership was a sinecure, the Hospital had some notable
masters, including John Vramhall (later Archbishop of Armagh) (Master 1625-34), his
successor Dr John Williams (Cromwell's brother-in-law, Bishop of Chester, and
co-founder of the Royal Society), and in the C18, Heneage Dering, reputed to be the
richest cleric in England.
As a result of the Charity Commissioners' Report of 1820, the 2 hospitals' estates
were re-organised in 1864, enabling the premises to be rebuilt.
The Valor Ecclesiasticus (1535) reveals that the master (Marmaduke Bradley) had a
"mansion house", garden and orchard. The Charity Commissioners in 1820 describe
apartments for 6 sisters and a chapel across the street. There is no mention of the
hospital buildings in either case, but it is known that there had been a separate
leper house, demolished shortly before 1352 for lack of patients.
Listing NGR: SE3172871780
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings