History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kirk Deighton Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Kirk Deighton, North Yorkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.9492 / 53°56'57"N

Longitude: -1.3931 / 1°23'35"W

OS Eastings: 439930

OS Northings: 450511

OS Grid: SE399505

Mapcode National: GBR LQQS.62

Mapcode Global: WHD9T.KZVW

Entry Name: Kirk Deighton Hall

Listing Date: 30 March 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1150323

English Heritage Legacy ID: 331719

Location: Kirk Deighton, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, LS22

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Kirk Deighton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Spofforth with Kirk Deighton

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(north side, off)

2/18 Kirk Deighton Hall



Rectory, now private house. Late C18 with mid C19 alterations including the
addition of the third storey. Coursed limestone and gritstone, purple slate
roof. Plinth and rusticated quoins. 3 storeys, 5 bays, 2:1:2. Central
glazed double doors under a closed porch with Tuscan columns, deep
entablature and cornice. Flush wood architraves, projecting sills and
incised lintels to all the windows; those to the ground floor are 4-pane
sashes; the first floor has sashes with glazing bars; the second floor has
9-pane unevenly-hung sashes. Shallow blocking course with moulded coping
and a projecting band at eaves level. Hipped roof. Banded end stacks, of
stone to left, of white brick to right. 2-bay single-storey range attached
to right, not of special interest. Interior not inspected at resurvey but
said to contain a fine original staircase. Rear wing, now a separate house,
has keyed lintels to windows and C20 alterations. In 1794 the patronage of
the living was sold by Colonel Thornton to the Rev James Geldart who became
rector in 1795 and was succeeded by his son and grandson. The church (qv)
was extensively rebuilt in 1849 and these two dates may cover the period of
building at the Rectory.

Listing NGR: SE3993050511

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.