This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.9506 / 53°57'2"N
Longitude: -1.2317 / 1°13'54"W
OS Eastings: 450517
OS Northings: 450777
OS Grid: SE505507
Mapcode National: GBR MQVR.4K
Mapcode Global: WHD9X.1YRR
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 30 March 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1150327
English Heritage Legacy ID: 331726
Location: Long Marston, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, YO26
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Long Marston
Built-Up Area: Long Marston
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Marston Moor
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 55 SW LONG MARSTON CHURCH ROAD
5/25 Church of All Saints
Church. c1400 on a C12 site or reusing C12 materials, tower added C15.
North transept added at restoration late C19. Tower of coursed squared
ashlar, nave and chancel in one, of coursed cobbles with limestone plinth
and quoins, graduated stone slate roof. 3-stage Perpendicular tower, 4-bay
nave with north aisle and transept chapel, 2-bay chancel. Tower has 3-light
west window, clock above; 2-light, 4-centred arched openings to second and
belfry stages. String course, battlemented parapet with gargoyles and
crocketed finials. Staircase tower attached to south side. Nave: board
south door bay 2 in late C12 arch with 3 orders of colonnettes and waterleaf
capitals; a contemporary round-headed window to right. Blocked round-arched
doorway chancel left, and a second blocked doorway with shouldered arch to
centre of chancel. Four 2-light square-headed Perpendicular windows of
2 lights to bays 1 and 3 of the nave and bays 1 and 2 of the chancel. East
window of 3 lights, reticulated tracery under a hoodmould with head stops;
vestry east window of 2 lights as south side. North side: blocked nave
door; C19 three-light decorated window to projecting transept, flanked by
aisle windows of 3 round-headed lights with hollow-chamfered mullions.
Interior. Nave north arcade of 3 bays with heavy round piers, moulded
capitals and round arches with slight chamfers. A narrow splayed round-
headed window in the north wall of the chancel opens into the later vestry.
Double chamfers to tower arch. Monument to Jacob Thwaites (1602) on
the north wall of the tower is decorated with gadrooning, lion masks,
strapwork and coats of arms. A weathered stone block with chamfered corners
and a hollow in the top is thought to have been a font but may be a cross
base. The pulpit, altar and altar rails were erected 1880-1900; the 1880
east window is by Hardman. Colonel Edward Wolfe and Henrietta Thompson,
(probably of Long Marston Hall (qv)) the parents of James Wolfe of Quebec,
were married at the church in 1727. N Pevsner, Buildings of England
Yorkshire: West Riding, (1967), p 355.
Listing NGR: SE5052150776
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings