This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.9932 / 53°59'35"N
Longitude: -1.7453 / 1°44'43"W
OS Eastings: 416796
OS Northings: 455268
OS Grid: SE167552
Mapcode National: GBR JQ78.Y9
Mapcode Global: WHC8B.5W5M
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 14 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1150451
English Heritage Legacy ID: 331412
Location: Blubberhouses, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, LS21
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Blubberhouses
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Fewston St Michael and St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
BLUBBERHOUSES SHEPHERD HILL ROAD
SE 15 NE
2/20 Church of St Andrew
Church. 1851. By E B Lamb for Lady Frankland. Coursed gritstone rubble
and ashlar, graduated stone slate roof. 3-bay nave, north aisle with tower
and porch grouped at the west end, 3-bay chancel. Built on a steep slope,
in an Early English style. Flight of 7 stone steps to studded board door of
porch with scrolled hinges in chamfered pointed arch below deep pitched roof
with gable copings. Tower of 2 storeys with tall lancet belfry windows,
stepped angle buttresses, deep corbelled eaves to pyramidal spire with small
lucarnes and finial. North aisle: 3 paired trefoil-headed windows; east
window of 3 trefoil-headed lancets, south side as north aisle, west end: 2
trefoil-headed lancets divided by a stepped buttress. Wide gable copings
and cross finials to apex of gables. Interior: north aisle roof supported
on deeply chamfered ashlar pillar with corbels carrying the timberwork of
nave and aisle roof. Nave roof of a hammer-beam type with king posts, the
chancel roof has an arch braced truss. Porch inner door has studs and
scroll hinges as the door to left into the tower. The altar rail and pulpit
are C17 oak, the rail balusters finely carved with alternate fluted columns.
The church is typical of the work of E B Lamb (1806-69), having a low
contour and heaviness of effect with complicated timber roof structure also
seen at St Mary's Church, Gospel Oak, London (1862-65) and St Mary's
Addiscombe, Surrey (1868). R Dixon and S Muthesius, Victorian Architecture,
1978, pp 195-196.
Listing NGR: SE1679655268
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings