This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1102 / 54°6'36"N
Longitude: -1.4022 / 1°24'8"W
OS Eastings: 439178
OS Northings: 468422
OS Grid: SE391684
Mapcode National: GBR LNNX.6C
Mapcode Global: WHD91.FYHF
Entry Name: Vicarage with Carriage House, Stable and Outbuildings in Attached Walled Yard
Listing Date: 11 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1150516
English Heritage Legacy ID: 331264
Location: Kirby Hill, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, YO51
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Kirby Hill
Built-Up Area: Kirby Hill
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SE 36 NE KIRBY HILL CHURCH LANE
(south side, off)
3/25 Vicarage with carriage
house, stable and
outbuildings in attached
Vicarage, carriage house, stables and courtyard wall. 1839 for the
Rev T Allanson. Red brick, Flemish bond, grey slate roofs. House: 2
storeys, 3 bays with courtyard on right (west). House: Central 4-panel door
with large overlight, door-case composed of attached columns supporting
plain entablature and deep cornice. Flanking 15-pane sashes with stone
sills, sashes with glazing bars and continuous sill band to first floor,
gauged brick arches throughout. Moulded eaves cornice. Hipped roof with
paired ridge stacks to centre. Interior: brick-lined cellars; 4-panel
doors. Main rooms front left and rear: original shutters, moulded ceiling
cornices incorporating Greek key and rose motifs. Large central-entrance
hall with original wide staircase of 2 straight flights with turned
balusters. Moulded ceiling cornice to landing, original doors. Walled yard
with stables, carriage house and outbuildings attached to west side of
house; the front wall of the service wing survives as the east end of the
north wall of the yard. The north wall is approximately 2.5 metres high,
with ashlar coping, ramped down to brick gate piers with flat ashlar caps.
A small lean-to stable or outbuilding in the courtyard against the west end
of the north wall has board door and 4-pane side-sliding sash window.
Courtyard, west side: carriage house of 2 storeys and 2 bays, single-storey
bay to left. Carriage house: 2 C20 garage doors, that to left, under
segmental arch in headers and stretchers, is original. 2 small square
loading doors above in segmental-headed openings. Single-storey bay
attached to left: board door, chimney left end. Courtyard, south side: gate
to garden to right of centre; left: single-storey range of 3 outbuildings
with board doors and small-paned windows attached to house. The building
of the present vicarage followed a period in the late C18 - early C19 when
the vicar of Kirby Hill was unable to live in the village because of the bad
condition of the old vicarage. H Stapleton, The Church of All Saints, Kirby
on the Moor, 1923, p 51.
Listing NGR: SE3917868422
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings