History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Burnt Yates School

A Grade II Listed Building in Clint cum Hamlets, North Yorkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.0466 / 54°2'47"N

Longitude: -1.6178 / 1°37'3"W

OS Eastings: 425124

OS Northings: 461247

OS Grid: SE251612

Mapcode National: GBR KP4N.K5

Mapcode Global: WHC86.3KW5

Plus Code: 9C6W29WJ+JV

Entry Name: Burnt Yates School

Listing Date: 3 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1150560

English Heritage Legacy ID: 331157

Location: Clint cum Hamlets, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3

County: North Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Clint cum Hamlets

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in


CLINT B 6165
SE 26 SE (north side)

10/29 Burnt Yates School

- II

School. 1760, 1763 and 1849 with alterations mid C20. Endowed by Rear
Admiral Robert Long and others. Coursed squared gritstone and ashlar, stone
slate (C18) and blue slate roofs (C19). 3 main blocks: the original 2-
storey, 2-bay school building, the 3-storey, 2-bay additional block to left,
and the tall single-storey C19 schoolroom attached at right-angle to right.
Original school: projecting quoins, central 6-panel door in quoined surround
flanked by 3-light flat-faced mullion-and-transom windows. First floor: 3-
light flat-faced mullion windows. Projecting sill and lintel bands to both
floors; inscription under crest in stone surround above entrance: 'THIS
left end stack. Additional block to left: quoins to left; central entrance
flanked by 3-light windows on each floor, transomed on first floor. Shaped
kneeler and ashlar coping to left. Later range to right: tall 3-light
mullion-and-transom window with triangular-headed top lights. Left (inner)
return: central porch with 3-light window, date plaque (1849) and bellcote
flanked by 3-light mullion-and-transom windows. Gable copings. Right
return: two 3-light mullion windows. Interior: block to left: second-floor
trustees room begun 1771 and completed 1773 has original wainscot,
fireplace, bookcase, table and 8 chairs. Latest schoolroom: scissor-braced
roof trusses. The foundation of the school was initiated by William
Mountaine of Scarah Bank Farm (qv) who contacted Robert Long, formerly of
Flask Farm, Clint but living in London. In 1759 Admiral Long promised to
endow Flask Farm and in 1760 the new school was near completion. In 1761
William Mountaine reported that the new school was 'too small' and in 1763
the new addition was built. The trustees room was completed 1773, the
original furnishings include chairs by Chippendale together with a map of
the endowed lands and portraits of King George I and Queen Caroline, all of
which remain. The minute books and correspondence records from the schools
foundation are preserved in the trustees room. Burnt Yates Womens
Institute, Clint cum Hamlets, 1975, pp 13-21. B Jennings, A History of
Nidderdale, 1967, p 447 etc.

Listing NGR: SE2512461247

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.