This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.0881 / 54°5'17"N
Longitude: -1.7688 / 1°46'7"W
OS Eastings: 415218
OS Northings: 465828
OS Grid: SE152658
Mapcode National: GBR JP25.V8
Mapcode Global: WHC7X.SHWT
Entry Name: Grassfield House Hotel
Listing Date: 3 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1150595
English Heritage Legacy ID: 331144
Location: Bewerley, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Bewerley
Built-Up Area: Pateley Bridge
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
BEWERLEY RAMSGILL ROAD
SE 16 NE (west side)
3/16 Grassfield House Hotel
House, now hotel. 1810. For Hanley Hutchinson. Ashlar, grey slate roof.
2-storey, 5-bay main block, the central 3 bays pedimented and breaking
forward; 3 bays deep. Attached range to left adjoins rear of building, of 2
storeys and 2 bays with later 2-storey, l-bay addition to left. Wall
attached to rear right continues to right, ramps down to gate piers and
continues for approximately 10 metres. Main block: central glazed double
door with fanlight in moulded architrave with imposts; flanking Doric
columns support entablature, cornice and blocking course. Flanking windows,
ground floor: 4-pane sashes with projecting sills and incised lintels.
First floor: sashes with glazing bars, sill band to central 3 bays, lintels
as ground floor. Rectangular recesses between ground and first-floor
windows. Moulded eaves and pediment cornice. Hipped roof with paired
stacks to bays 2 and 4. Attached range to left: two 16-pane sashes to
ground floor, sashes with glazing bars above. Architectural details as main
facade. Left bay not of special interest. Wall attached to right: 2 blind
windows with rectangular panels above; moulded cornice and blocking course.
To right: ramped wall of coursed squared rubble with flat coping; lean-to
garden house attached to north side with 3 blocked round arched windows with
keystones, gable coping and bulbous kneelers. Gate piers approximately 3
metres high: plinths, cornices and pyramidal finials. Wall continues for
approximately 10 metres to right, ramped down once. Hanley Hutchinson was a
leading figure in the Greenhow lead mining industry in the area. He leased
the Cockhill-Sunside lead mines from the Yorke family and was a member of
the provisional committee of the Yorkshire and Lancashire railway in the
1840's. He owned the Brigg House Rolling Mill where sheet lead and lead
pipes were manufactured. W Grainge, Nidderdale, (1863), p 65. B Jennings,
A History of Nidderdale (1967), pp 201, 295, 341.
Listing NGR: SE1521865828
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings