This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.3345 / 54°20'4"N
Longitude: -1.1182 / 1°7'5"W
OS Eastings: 457436
OS Northings: 493569
OS Grid: SE574935
Mapcode National: GBR NLM9.QZ
Mapcode Global: WHD86.S9QZ
Entry Name: Spout House
Listing Date: 23 June 1966
Last Amended: 30 October 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1150636
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333067
Location: Bilsdale Midcable, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, TS9
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Bilsdale Midcable
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Upper Ryedale
Church of England Diocese: York
BILSDALE MIDCABLE B 1257 East side
SE 59 SE
18/9 Spout House
to north-west of
House, for many years the Sun Inn, now restored and open to public.
C16, altered in C17, C18 and later. Coursed roughly-squared sandstone
walls, possibly replacing timber framing. Thatched roof with stone
stacks. Longhouse plan with later rear extensions.
1 storey and attic, 3½ bays, the half bay being a northward extension
of the forehouse. Boarded door in through-passage position in right
bay, rebuilt probably in later C17. Restored Yorkshire sash to
right; small 2-light window under eaves. In centre bay a 5-light
stepped and chamfered mullioned and transomed window, and in left
bay a 4-light similar window without transom, both brought from
elsewhere, possibly Helmsley Castle. In left return a small round-
headed window, with depressed spandrels and a 2-light similar attic
window, probably also insertions. Stacks in hearth position and at
right end. Small window under eaves above centre bay. Rear elevation
blank at left, but for through-passage door. Rear forehouse wall
rebuilt in C18 and projecting cellar extension added at right.
Interior: forehouse shows open fireplace with fire beam, heck and
attached settle; C18 enclosed hearth built within, and C19 cast-iron
range inserted, with peat slab and reckon. Chamfered beams and old
joists. In downhouse (converted to parlour) rough longitudinal beam
with narrowly-chamfered joists; and early C19 inserted fireplace.
Small original parlour has dog-leg stair to parlour chamber. Dairy,
behind parlour, has stone steps down to lower cellar. Upstairs
there are 2 built-in beds in the parlour chamber and chamber over
the forehouse - a later addition as shown by smoke-blackening on
roof. 2 pairs cruck trusses with high saddle, massive ridge piece
and low collar (making awkward doorway). 1 level of stout purlins.
An exceptionally well preserved survival.
Listing NGR: SE5743693569
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings