History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Register House

A Grade II Listed Building in Northallerton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 54.339 / 54°20'20"N

Longitude: -1.4329 / 1°25'58"W

OS Eastings: 436970

OS Northings: 493859

OS Grid: SE369938

Mapcode National: GBR LLF8.LC

Mapcode Global: WHD81.Y6VJ

Entry Name: Register House

Listing Date: 9 December 1969

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1150719

English Heritage Legacy ID: 332858

Location: Northallerton, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, DL6

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Civil Parish: Northallerton

Built-Up Area: Northallerton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Northallerton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SE 3693-3793
(north side)
Register House
Registry and court house, now offices. 1736, with later alterations. Red brick
in Flemish bond, stone slate roof. 3 storeys, 3 x 3 bays with contemporary rear
service wing. Original front, facing west towards the High Street: on ground
floor, central doorway, now partly blocked to form a sash window with glazing
bars, has painted ashlar surround with large raised quoins and large tripartite
keystone. Brickwork offset above ground floor. first floor: sash windows with
glazing bars with projecting ashlar sills and flat arches with keystones. Second
floor: half-size 6-pane sash windows matching those on first floor. Dentilled
cornice. Hipped roof. Left return: round-arched staircase sash window with
glazing bars, radial at top. Right return: as west front and with C19 flat-roofed
ashlar porch added when Zetland Street opened in mid C19; 2 ridge stacks. Single-
storey rear service range (later raised to 2 storeys) has ashlar quoined door
surround with keystone. This was one of only 4 deeds registries set up nationally
under an Act of Parliament in 1735. In 1785 the Registry moved to a new Court
House designed by John Carr, and since demolished. This building originally had
its access through an elegant gateway, now demolished, on the High Street.
C J Davison Ingledew, History and Antiquities of Northallerton (1858), pp 302-307;
Rev J L Saywell, The History and Annals of Northallerton (1885), pp 119, 137,

Listing NGR: SE3697093859

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.