This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.1398 / 54°8'23"N
Longitude: -1.0855 / 1°5'7"W
OS Eastings: 459840
OS Northings: 471939
OS Grid: SE598719
Mapcode National: GBR NNVK.SR
Mapcode Global: WHFBB.96BP
Plus Code: 9C6W4WQ7+WQ
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 17 May 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1150750
English Heritage Legacy ID: 332722
Location: Brandsby-cum-Stearsby, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO61
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Brandsby-cum-Stearsby
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Brandsby All Saints
Church of England Diocese: York
BRANDSBY-CUM-STEARSBY TOWN STREET
SE 57 SE
Church of All Saints
Church. 1767-70 with addition of 1913. By Thomas Atkinson of York for
Francis Cholmeley; restored by Temple Moore in 1905, porch by H Rutherford.
Ashlar sandstone with herringbone tooling, stone slate roof. Nave, 'crossing'
with tower, and chancel in one 3-bay range. South side: to left, added flat-
roofed porch with vestry behind has leaved oak doors of 8 panels, in architrave,
band below parapet, and 3 flat-headed windows in architraves to west side.
Added white brick chimney near left corner of main range. Church: plinth; 3
round-arched windows, in centre with Gibbs surround and with corbels below sill;
square corbels below cornice containing gutter; hipped roof with central tower
with oculus and paired brackets to cornice, surmounted by cupola of 8 round-
arched openings with three-quarter columns at the angles, Doric frieze, stone
dome with ball finial and weather-vane. East end: Venetian window; below,
mounted on wall, 6 memorial tablets to members of Wiley family. North side: as
south, but the central window blind, the outer 2 with Gibbs surrounds.
Interior: in porch, leaved 6-panel doors from inner vestibule in architrave;
small font on fluted column; door of 2 fielded panels to vestry; stained-glass
in west window by T Kempe; to right, original entrance to church, now with
wrought-iron gate, in rich architrave surmounted by cornice on brackets. In the
church, crossing laterally between nave and chancel, a tripartite groin vault
supported on four Roman Doric columns; under the vault, oak pulpit of 1905 by
Temple Moore; in chancel, Commandment Boards and hatchments of Cholmeley family;
west gallery with front of fielded panels, supported on 2 fluted octagonal
columns; a number of brass chandeliers. The VCH records an inscription in the
dome 'This church built Anno Domini 1767 by Francis Cholmeley Esqre; Thomas
Atkinson, Architect; Richard Scurr, Mason'. VCH ii, pp.103-104. Photos in NMR.
Listing NGR: SE5984071939
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings