History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade I Listed Building in West Tanfield, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 54.2037 / 54°12'13"N

Longitude: -1.5906 / 1°35'26"W

OS Eastings: 426800

OS Northings: 478743

OS Grid: SE268787

Mapcode National: GBR KMBT.FV

Mapcode Global: WHC7F.JLSP

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 22 August 1966

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1150775

English Heritage Legacy ID: 332680

Location: West Tanfield, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, HG4

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Civil Parish: West Tanfield

Built-Up Area: West Tanfield

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
West Tanfield

Listing Text

SE 2678-2778
(west end)
10/50 Church of St Nicholas


Church. Early C13, late C13, C15 and C19 restoration. Coursed squared
stone, ashlar, Welsh slate roof. West tower, nave, south porch, north aisle
with vestry, chancel. West tower: Perpendicular, 3 stages. Offset diagonal
buttresses up to belfry level. To south side a buttress like stair tower up
to the belfry, to bottom is a segmental-arched doorway, above very small
one-light chamfered openings. Stone bands between stages. Blank second
stage. Belfry openings have pointed-arched head with hoodmoulds, cusped
tracery of 2-lights. Projecting embattled parapet. West tower: window has
pointed-arched head with hoodmould, of 3 lights with rectilinear tracery.
Clock face below belfry to west facade. Nave: 4 bays. C15 walls, refaced
1860. South porch of c1200, outer round-arched moulded doorway with
hoodmould which continues as eaves band, set in steeply gabled porch with
stone roof and a tunnel vault. Inner doorway similar with board door. To
left of porch a 2-light flat-headed window with hoodmould and rectilinear
tracery. To right of porch 2 flat-headed 2-light windows with cusped
rectilinear tracery and hoodmoulds. To right is a wide original stone
offset buttress. Stone coping, gable cross. North aisle: Perpendicular,
4 bays, gabled east end. Offset angle buttresses between bays and offset
diagonal buttress to east. To west is a vestry with 3-light pointed-arched
cusped traceried window with hoodmould, to its east a small outshut porch
with pointed-arched doorway. Three 3-light windows with rectilinear tracery
and segmental heads with hoodmoulds. East window to north aisle has pointed
arch with hoodmould and is of 5-lights with cusped rectilinear tracery.
Stone coping, gable crosses. West window of 3-lights with pointed arch,
hoodmould and rectilinear tracery. Chancel: C13, 2 bays. Walls refaced in
1860. Offset diagonal buttresses to east. Two 4-centred arched windows
with hoodmoulds, of 3 cusped lights, to south. East window has pointed arch
with hoodmould, of 3-lights, with intersecting tracery. Stone coping, gable
cross. Interior: north arcade of 4 bays, late C13, octagonal piers and
capitals, double chamfered pointed arches with hoodmoulds. Similar arch
from north aisle to chancel. Chancel has pointed arch of C19. Behind the
chancel arch, facing the north chapel, is a recess with moulded shallow arch
to front, cusped 2-light opening through to chancel to rear and similar
single light openings to east. Possibly a small chantry chapel. (A chancery
was founded in 1335 to be read for Maude Marmion.) In the north aisle, some
C15 stained glass with figures including a large figure of a female saint
and a small crucifix. C19 hammer beam roofs. Monuments: several to the
Marmion family: effigies of Sir William Marmion 1275, a lady late C14, and
another lady on a tomb chest. A cross legged knight and a later C14 lady
arranged as a couple placed under a tall canopy with openwork cusping and a
crocketed gable perhaps late C13. Alabaster effigies of Sir John Marmion
1387 and his wife on a plain stone plinth, by her head 2 angels, by her feet
a dog. All this is placed under an ironwork hearse of the same date, at
each corner and on apex of ogee arches are candle spikes with leaf motif wax
holders. The horizontal pieces of ironwork are castellated. Ironwork of
this date over a tomb is probably unique in this country. Brass to Thomas
Sutton, Rector c1492.

Listing NGR: SE2679878743

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.