This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.3111 / 54°18'39"N
Longitude: -1.2676 / 1°16'3"W
OS Eastings: 447748
OS Northings: 490854
OS Grid: SE477908
Mapcode National: GBR MLLL.CC
Mapcode Global: WHD84.HWLY
Entry Name: Kepwick Hall with Attached Service Wing and Coach House
Listing Date: 2 February 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1150848
English Heritage Legacy ID: 332551
Location: Kepwick, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO7
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Kepwick
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
KEPWICK MAIN STREET, off
SE 49 SE
KEPWICK HALL WITH
ATTACHED SERVICE WING
AND COACH HOUSE
Country house with attached service wing and coach house. 1873 with additions
1888 and alterations c.1930. Designed by Goodacre in the Neo-Jacobean style.
Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings, slate roofs, coped gables and kneelers, plus
tall moulded stacks. Chamfered plinth, first floor band, eaves band and coped
parapet, the windows are chamfered cross mullions throughout. 2 storey plus
attics. South front, 3 bays, with slightly projecting wing to the right, with a
3-light window, and a similar window above. To the left a large projecting square
bay window with coped parapet and a 4-light window. Above 2, 2-light windows.
East garden front, 10 irregular bays, from the left 2 bays, each with 2, 2-light
windows to each floor then a slightly projecting 2 bay gable wing with 3 single
light windows, and above 2 similar windows, above again in the attic a similar
window. Beyond a single door, with a staircase window above, then a single window
to each floor with a through eaves gabled dormer above. Then a projecting gabled
wing with a 3-light square bay window, with a 3-light window and a 2-light window
above. Beyond the final 3 bays each have a 2-light window to each floor, with a
double and single dormer above. West entrance front, 6 bays, with a projecting
gabled wing to the right, with a projecting gabled porch with a chamfered segment
headed doorway with a panel door, and a glazed tripartite fanlight. Above a
3-light window, with above in the gable a coat-of-arms. To the left, 2 small
fixed light and above a large staircase window, then a square bay window with a
4-light window, and above a 2-light window. Beyond again 2 recessed bays with a
square bay window with a 4-light window and above two, 2-light windows and above a
small gabled window, with a 2-light window. Beyond a projecting gabled 3 storey
wing with a single storey C20 projecting porch with a hipped roof and a glazed
door plus a small plain sash. Above a 2-light window and a similar window above.
Beyond to the north a 3 storey service wing behind a courtyard wall. Beyond again
the coach-house around a small courtyard approached through a large round archway
with a hood mould and keystone on the south, plus 2 upper 3-light windows.
Interior: Entrance hall has full-height panelling installed in c.1930, with Ionic
pilasters in Neo-Baroque style. Dining room has half-height C17 style panelling
with a built-in sideboard and fireplace with overmantle made up from pieces of
original C17 furniture. Single flight and return wooden Neo-Jaconbean style
staircase. Drawing Room has very fine, mid C18 panelling re-used from a house
owned by the Earl of Derby.
Listing NGR: SE4774890854
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings