This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.3277 / 54°19'39"N
Longitude: -1.5396 / 1°32'22"W
OS Eastings: 430036
OS Northings: 492552
OS Grid: SE300925
Mapcode National: GBR KLPD.GF
Mapcode Global: WHC6W.BH26
Entry Name: Church of St Radegund
Listing Date: 22 August 1966
Last Amended: 29 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1150897
English Heritage Legacy ID: 332353
Location: Scruton, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, DL7
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Scruton
Built-Up Area: Scruton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SCRUTON MAIN STREET
SE 39 SW
(north side, off)
4/69 Church of St Radegund
(formerly listed as'Church')
Church. C12, early C13, C14 and C15. Restoration by G Fowler Jones 1865.
Rubblestone, ashlar, graduated stone slate roofs. West tower, nave with
south porch, south and north aisles, chancel. Vest tower: C15, 3 stages.
To west, offset diagonal buttresses up to belfry. Clock to second stage.
Chamfered band. Paired chamfered ogee-arched lights to belfry openings.
Moulded string course with gargoyle at each corner. Embattled parapets,
pyramidal roof with weather-vane. West window, first stage, 2-light with
cusped Perpendicular tracery in round-headed arch with hoodmould. South
porch: 1865, gabled with Norman style doorway, stone coped gable with cross.
Inside south doorway C12 with continuous roll moulding and rope motifs.
South aisle, 1865, 4 bays. To left a 1-light round-headed window. To
right, two 2-light plate traceried windows with hoods. North aisle has
angle buttresses but no openings. 4 round cinquefoil clerestory windows of
1865. Stone coping, gable cross. Chancel: C13, C14. 3 bays. Offset angle
buttresses to east end and right of left-hand bay. Left-hand bay has 2-
light cusped traceried flat-headed window. To right two C13 lancets. Stone
coping, gable cross. Pointed east window of 3 lights, 1865 Geometric in
style. Interior: north arcade early C13 but much restored. South arcade of
1865. Both arcades of 4 bays with round piers, plain octagonal abaci, large
round arches of 2 slight chamfers. Chancel arch 1865, chamfered pointed
arch on shafts with leaf capitals. Monument under tower, a cartouche to Mrs
Listing NGR: SE3003692552
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings