This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.2829 / 54°16'58"N
Longitude: -1.4576 / 1°27'27"W
OS Eastings: 435411
OS Northings: 487605
OS Grid: SE354876
Mapcode National: GBR LL8X.7G
Mapcode Global: WHD87.LM31
Entry Name: Red House Farmhouse
Listing Date: 29 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1150933
English Heritage Legacy ID: 332246
Location: Maunby, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO7
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Maunby
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SE 38 NE GREEN LANE
3/21 Red House
Farmhouse, early C18.
Brick, mainly Flemish bond, modern tile roof, brick stacks, modern external joinery.
Lobby entry between the eastern two bays with stairs to the rear centre. Central and eastern bay both with smoke bays to the east, western-most bay originally unheated. Both gables have single storey lean-to extensions.
Front: Two storey, appearing as 4 regularly spaced bays, the window above the entrance being blind. Openings have flat arches in gauged brick. Windows at the time of survey were modern replacements with 2-over-2 sashes with exposed sash boxes. The front door is also modern, being a boarded door set in a timber door surround. There is a simple 2 course storey band. Gables are raised with brick coping with brick kneelers. There are 3 ridge stacks, the stack in line with the entrance and the one to the east gable are both of square section. The west gable stack is rectangular and probably a late C19 addition (serving a corner positioned set fireplace on the ground floor).
Gables: Lean-to extensions in English garden wall bond and stretcher bond, both with alterations. The attic of the original house has a storey band, two blocked attic windows and two tie rod plates to each gable.
Rear: Fenestration is irregular and there has been some alteration to openings. Stair window towards the centre.
Exposed ceiling beams on both ground and first floor, some being flat chamfered with step and run-out stops, some being unchamfered. The east gable end smoke bay has a bressumer beam that is chamfered on both inner and outer edges. The central smoke bay has an unchamfered bressumer and its inglenook contains a C20 fireplace that incorporates a standstone fireplace with moulded corbels that may be early C18. The eastern principal bay has been knocked through front to back. The stairs are a modern replacement in an enlarged stairwell, but in the position of the original stairs which was probably doglegged. Smokehoods survive on the first floor to both smoke bays. The roof structure is traditionally jointed and pegged, employing squared hardwood timber. It incorporates A frame trusses that clasp a diamond set ridge purlin, as well as supporting two sets of side purlins, these being tenoned into the principal rafters.
Associated farm buildings are generally later C19 and have undergone modern alteration. One barn includes a traditionally jointed roof structure including kingblocks.
It is not known when Red House was constructed. External details suggest an C18 or early C19 date, but its internal plan is of a form that was archaic by the mid-C18. This, together with some other internal details (such as the chamfered beams), suggests that the house could even be late C17 in origin. It is likely that the farm was established following the enclosure of the open fields of the township. There is no enclosure plan for either Maunby or Kirby Wiske (Maunby originally being a township of Kirby Wiske parish) which implies that enclosure took place before 1750 by agreement between the landowners, rather than after about 1750 by Act of Parliament. Red House, with some associated buildings to the north, is marked and named on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1857. The next edition (1895) shows a westward expansion of the farm complex as well as some alteration to the layout of farm buildings to the rear of the house.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
Red House farmhouse is designated at grade II for the following principal reasons:
* As an example of a vernacular farm house built shortly before the Agricultural Revolution, with an architecturally polite exterior to a vernacular internal plan form.
* Although extensively modernised and renovated, the house retains features of interest such as the smoke bays and the traditionally constructed roof structure.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings