This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.551 / 53°33'3"N
Longitude: -1.4829 / 1°28'58"W
OS Eastings: 434359
OS Northings: 406161
OS Grid: SE343061
Mapcode National: GBR LW2C.RT
Mapcode Global: WHDCX.604L
Entry Name: Salem Wesleyan Reformed Church
Listing Date: 13 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1151180
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333689
Location: Barnsley, S70
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Barnsley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Barnsley St George's Parish Centre
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
BARNSLEY BLUCHER STREET
9/4 Salem Wesleyan
Independent chapel, now Wesleyan Reformed church. 1825. Hammer-dressed stone.
Welsh slate roof. Two storeys, 3 x 2 bays. Pedimented gable front: central
double door with deep fanlight. Sash windows, smaller to 1st floor. Tablet
in tympanum reads:
Sash windows to right and left returns.
Interior: 3-sided gallery with panelled front on slender cast-iron columns.
Later organ in round-arched recess. Rounded, panelled pulpit with steps to
each side. Communion rail with decorative wrought-iron supports. Straight-
backed panelled pews. Panelled rear wall with side doors.
The Independent chapel became a Wesleyan Reformed Church in 1857.
Listing NGR: SE3435906161
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings