This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5294 / 53°31'45"N
Longitude: -1.1244 / 1°7'27"W
OS Eastings: 458140
OS Northings: 403989
OS Grid: SE581039
Mapcode National: GBR NWLM.CK
Mapcode Global: WHDD2.PKS5
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 4 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1151441
English Heritage Legacy ID: 334998
Location: Doncaster, DN1
Electoral Ward/Division: Town
Built-Up Area: Doncaster
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Doncaster St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
TOWN OF DONCASTER BECKETT ROAD
SE 50 SE (south side)
4.5.88 CHURCH OF ST MARY
Church. 1885 by Lord Grimthorpe, 1912 chancel. Rock-faced ashlar with plain ashlar
dressings and clay tile roof. 6-bay aisled nave with eastern porch and bellcote,
narrow single-bay western chancel with flanking vestries. Moulded plinth and
continuous sill stringcourse throughout, sill broken by quoined offset buttresses
between each bay and similar set back buttresses to each corner. Wide gabled east
elevation has projecting low porch, with offset angle buttresses, to centre. This
has pointed moulded arch with inner roll mould on nookshafts and hoodmould with
head stops. To either side of porch are single trefoil-headed lancets with hoods.
Eaves stringcourse, and parapet with moulded copings and central gablet. Gablet
with 3 stepped blind lancets. Inner door similar to outer arch but with two orders.
Above porch to centre are three adjoining stepped lancets with trefoil heads and
continuous hoodmould. Similar lower single lancets to sides. Gableted bellcote
to ridge has 4-centred arched bell opening and blind quatrefoil in gable. Nave
elevations have large paired trefoil-headed lancets to each bay, west bay of south
elevation has pointed doorcase with double roll-moulded arch on paired nookshafts
below the reduced lancets. Bracketed eaves. Stone coped gables on moulded
kneelers. Chancel has large pointed 3-light geometric traceried west window with
hoodmould with beast-stops. South vestry has two trefoil-headed lancets to south
and. single one to west, with Caernavon arched door below eastern lancet. Northern
vestry similar but single bay. Interior has 5-bay north and south arcades of tall
thin banded cast iron columns supporting pointed timber arches and arched braced
roof trusses. Tall pointed stone chancel arch flanked by similar lower arches.
Moulded stone sill stringcourse to windows. C19 Decorated style timber screen to
east end of church. Circular stone font with wooden cover. Carved 1912 reredos
and choir stalls. East window c1912 by Dudley Foster (cartoon in the church).
Listing NGR: SE5814003989
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings