History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Thurgoland Wire Works at River Mill Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Thurgoland, Barnsley

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.4943 / 53°29'39"N

Longitude: -1.5722 / 1°34'19"W

OS Eastings: 428477

OS Northings: 399815

OS Grid: SK284998

Mapcode National: GBR KXG1.F3

Mapcode Global: WHCBX.TFHK

Entry Name: Thurgoland Wire Works at River Mill Farm

Listing Date: 23 April 1987

Last Amended: 17 March 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1151801

English Heritage Legacy ID: 334123

Location: Thurgoland, Barnsley, S35

County: Barnsley

Civil Parish: Thurgoland

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Thurgoland Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


4/100 Thurgoland Wire Works at
River Mill Farm

(Formerly listed as
Thurgoland Wireworks)

23.4.87 II

Former wire works. Probably mid C18, possibly with earlier origins, later
additions and alterations. Coursed squared stone and thinly-coursed stone,
brick addition; coated stone slate and Welsh slate roofs. Single storey.
4-bay north-south range with short gabled wing projecting from left (south)
bay, brick addition (not of special interest) masking 3rd bay, and a 3-bay
wing projecting at obtuse angle from right (north) bay. East front: stack at
left corner. Left wing has quoins and double door inserted in former window
opening. To right of wing, quoined doorway with deep lintel above ground
level and now glazed, the upper part with small-pane glazing; to its right a
2-light flat-faced mullion window with extended lintel and cill and some
small-pane glazing; to its right a 2-light flat-faced mullion window with
extended lintel and cill and some small-pane glazing. 3rd bay has inserted
walling and doorway and altered window at upper level. Wing on right has
quoins at left angle, an inserted window and a 2-light window as before
without mullion, to gable, and a further blind bay with plain gutter brackets
in line to right; its left return has, from left, a blocked quoined doorway,
a 2-light window on each floor as before with small-pane glazing (lower one
without mullion, upper one part-blocked), an inserted doorway below similar
window (without mullion); east part of wing roof of Welsh slates; later brick
stack at junctions of roof with main range, another in front roof pitch of
right bay and to right end of right bay. Left return (south gable): position
of farmer water-wheel indicated in stonework, with central rectangular shaft
hole; central inserted doorway above, now window, with 12-pane side-sliding
sash in apex, the gable being later than wall below and of thinly-covered

Interior: aisle along west side of main range has one post straight-braced
to arcade plate (one brace removed); large-scantling platts, purlins and
rafters; king-post roof truss at south end. North wing has square stone
columns along north side and iron hearth.

A watermill was marked on the site on a map of 1775 (The Environs of
Huddersfield, Holmfirth and Penistone), and on others of 1804 and 1815 the
building appears, being marked as "The new wire mill" and "New Hill"

Listing NGR: SK2847799815

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.