History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade I Listed Building in Necton, Norfolk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.6529 / 52°39'10"N

Longitude: 0.7757 / 0°46'32"E

OS Eastings: 587854

OS Northings: 309751

OS Grid: TF878097

Mapcode National: GBR R9C.QXZ

Mapcode Global: WHKQX.WLL1

Plus Code: 9F42MQ3G+57

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 23 June 1960

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1152204

English Heritage Legacy ID: 221033

Location: Necton, Breckland, Norfolk, PE37

County: Norfolk

Civil Parish: Necton

Built-Up Area: Necton

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Necton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TF 80 NE,

Church of All Saints




Parish Church. Fabric chiefly of 14th and 15th century with 19th century
additions; west tower rebuilt 1864-5. Flint with limestone dressings; lead
roofs, chancel pantiled. West tower, nave, chancel, north and south aisles,
north vestry and south-west chapel.

West tower with staged angle buttresses
faced with ashlar. Base courses with chequer pattern of stone and flushwork
panels. Single light belfry windows with cusped ogee traceried heads. Cill
band decorated with quatrefoils below bell openings: 3-light openings with
Perpendicular tracery. Pierced and embattled stone parapet, corner piers
with crocketted pinnacles. 19th century octagonal tower lantern of timber
with ogee dome and lead finial. Curved braces to corner posts. Iron
traceried panels between posts. West doorway with frieze of three traceried
panels with shields flanked by panels of ogee headed blind arcading. 3-light
west window with Perpendicular tracery. Clock face in square panel with
label mould above west window. 19th century south-west chapel with chequer
work plinth as tower, castellated east and west parapets and gable parapet
with cross finial. 3-light Perpendicular window in gable. South aisle has
three 3-light Perpendicular windows, bays divided by staged flint and
limestone buttresses. Roll-moulded parapet coping. 15th century clearstorey
of eight bays: closely-set 3-light windows with continous hood mould. Parapeted
east gable to nave with remains of sanctus bell turret. East window of south
aisle 3-light Decorated, partly blocked. Two 3-light Perpendicular windows
in south wall of chancel divided by staged buttresses with knapped flint
panels. Priests door to west of buttresses with plain chamfered jambs and
hollow-rolled arched head with drip mould on head stops. Short diagonal
buttresses to east wall; restored east window with roll-moulded head on
attached shafts. Parapeted gable with cross finial. 14th century 3-light
Decorated east window to north aisle. The two eastern bays of the north
aisle wall (St. Catherine Chapel) rebuilt in early 19th century in brick
and flint. North aisle proper of four bays with 3-light Perpendicular windows
with brattished transoms. Bays divided by staged stone buttresses. 19th
century north vestry with one-light Decorated windows. Short diagonal
buttresses to gable. 2-light 14th century west windows to aisles.

and south aisles of 4 bays: quatrefoil piers and capitals, arches with two
hollow chamfers. Two lower bays with similar detailing to northeast chapel.
Very fine 15th century nave roof retaining much original colouring: alternate
hammer-beam and arch-braced collar trusses. Hammer beams in the form of
angels. Principals carried on long canopied wall posts with figures of
Christ, the Virgin Mary and the Apostles. Brattished rollmoulded purlins.
Cornice carved with three tiers of brattishing and two tiers of angels with
spread wings. Frieze below clerestorey cill with bosses and shields in
foliage. Blocked window over chancel arch with central figure pedestal and
canopied niches with two tiers of figures in jambs. Chancel ceiling plastered
over with large coving. 19th century reredos with painting of the Raising
of Lazarus. East window contains glass by de la Roche of Paris,1844.
North-east chapel has incised consecration cross and piscina with petalled
bowl, 14th century, in south-east corner. Fine octagonal pulpit with
backboard and tester, dated 1636. Angel-piscina with petalled bowl in south-
east corner of south aisle. Octagonal font with traceried panels with
shields; wooden ogee cover with crocketted ribs and finial. Mason chapel
contains two almost identical wall monuments, on the east wall to William
Mason d.1865 and his three sons, that on the west wall to William Mason
d.1835 and his wife Elizabeth d.1849. The design is attributed to Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin.
Nave and chancel contain notable memorial brasses, 14th, 15th and
16th century. Aisle roofs with roll-moulded principals with arch-braces to
short wall posts. Wall plate above entrance to Mason Chapel carved with names
of Parish Clerk and Church wardens.

Listing NGR: TF8785409751

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.